5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Word 2003 and 2007, smart quotes do not work when inserting comments in the comment pane. Is there a setting for this, or is it normal in these versions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    In Word 2002, smart quotes work in comment balloons, but not in the comment pane at the bottom of the page.
    So if you really want smart quotes in your comments, either display balloons and enter/edit your comments there, or compose them in the body of the document, then cut and paste them into the comment pane.

Thanks
    [quote name='Murgatroyd' post='769482' date='06-Apr-2009 17:36']In my Word 2003, smart quotes do not work when inserting comments in the comment pane. Is there a setting for this, or is it normal in this version?[/quote]
    I can confirm that neither AutoFormat As You Type not AutoCorrect kicks in when you enter comments using the Reviewing Pane in Word 2003. Although having pretty quotation marks isn't very critical, the error correction function of AutoCorrect sure would be nice. I haven't searched around Microsoft.com (or on the web) to see whether there is a known solution.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies. As my work requires smart quotes and as I prefer the old-type (Word 2000) comment pane to balloons, or to the new-type comment pane, in which the AutoCorrect functions do not work, I have set up the following macros in Word 2003 and 2007 to insert and review comments using the old-type comment pane, in which the AutoCorrect functions do work, including smart quotes.

Sub InsertComment()
    Selection.Comments.Add Range:=Selection.Range
    ActiveWindow.ActivePane.Close
    ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.SplitSpecial = wdPaneComments
    End Sub

Sub OpenCommentPane()
    If (ActiveDocument.Comments.Count > 0) Then
    ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.SplitSpecial = wdPaneComments
    End If
    End Sub

NB: I have found that Word crashes when closing the old-type comment pane in Reading Layout view if the Tools > Options > View > Formatting Marks > Hidden Text option is selected. This seems to be a bug in Word 2003 and 2007.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When using the InsertComment macro above, the cursor initially appears on the wrong line in the comment pane (i.e., at the beginning of the next comment's line instead of at the end of the current comment's line), unless the inserted comment is the last or only one in the document, in which case there is no next line because the cursor is at the end of the comment pane.

Is there some code that can be included in the macro to move the cursor back one space to the correct line, unless the current comment is the last one in the document; e.g., something like "If the cursor is not at the end of the comment pane, then move it one space back"?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroyd' post='772801 View Post
    Is there some code that can be included in the macro to move the cursor back one space to the correct line, unless the current comment is the last one in the document; e.g., something like "If the cursor is not at the end of the comment pane, then move it one space back"?
    Hmmm, how would the macro know? Hopefully we won't have to figure that out.

By the way, I'm not sure you should edit documents in reading mode. It wasn't really designed for that...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, your macro works fine, thanks.