New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello every one,

I am looking to remove a few controls from the Outlook Ribbon using VS2008 and VSTO 3.0. Using an XML resource file I can remove groups and tabs with the syntax:

[codebox]<group idMso="GroupInsertTables" visible="false"></group>[/codebox]

However

[codebox]<button idMso="PictureInsertFromFile" visible="false"></button>[/codebox]

Does not remove an individual button from a group. My first question, then: Is it possible to remove a single button from a default group? If so, how?

If it is not possible to remove single buttons from default groups, I suppose I could build new custom groups to mimic the behavior of the default groups. How does one control the order of groups on a ribbon?

Thanks for the help,

Rex

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I discovered the "insertBeforeMso" tag to answer my second question. Any help on the first?

Thanks,
    Rex

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Rex,

Am just learning this stuff myself, so not an authoritative answer, but from playing around with this (in Word/Custom UI Editor), it looks like you can make an entire built-in Ribbon group not visible, but can't do that for an individual element in the group: when I try to do so for an individual element, when I re-open the document, I get a Custom UI Runtime Error Message box, that says in part: "Controls in a built-in group cannot be modified".

Hiding the default group and substituting your own custom one (using those built-in controls you want to keep) may be the way to go.

Gary