Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing Focus

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Using I.E. 7 as my browser at forums like this I will click inside the text box like I have done here and start typing. Since I have to keep looking at the keyboard as I type I don't always notice the exact moment it happens but often times the cursor will no longer be inside the text box and I have to click inside it again to continue typing and also have to retype from the point it jumped out of the text box. Any ideas why this would be happening and how it can be corrected?
    H Lewton

Thanks
    [quote name='hlewton' post='769797' date='08-Apr-2009 15:56']Using I.E. 7 as my browser at forums like this I will click inside the text box like I have done here and start typing. Since I have to keep looking at the keyboard as I type I don't always notice the exact moment it happens but often times the cursor will no longer be inside the text box and I have to click inside it again to continue typing and also have to retype from the point it jumped out of the text box. Any ideas why this would be happening and how it can be corrected?[/quote]
    Laptop or Desktop? If it's a laptop, could you be inadvertently brushing or lightly tapping the touchpad?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='hlewton' post='769797' date='08-Apr-2009 14:56'][/quote]

You either have something else running that is stealing focus or you are hitting a key that is causing it. For Windows XP the TweakUI powertoy found at Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP has a semi-effective setting for not allowing other applications to steal focus.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Rebel' post='769798' date='08-Apr-2009 16:00']Laptop or Desktop? If it's a laptop, could you be inadvertently brushing or lightly tapping the touchpad?[/quote]
    It happens on all 5 of my computers and only one of them is a laptop.

Thanks
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='769800' date='08-Apr-2009 16:01']You either have something else running that is stealing focus or you are hitting a key that is causing it. For Windows XP the TweakUI powertoy found at Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP has a semi-effective setting for not allowing other applications to steal focus.

Joe[/quote]
    I hardly ever have anything running in the background as far as programs that I consciously start and it happens way too often for it to be hitting a wrong key all the time.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='hlewton' post='769836' date='08-Apr-2009 23:51'][/quote]

Are the keyboards wireless?

Have you considered installing IE8?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='769864' date='09-Apr-2009 09:06']Are the keyboards wireless?

Have you considered installing IE8?

Joe[/quote]All except the laptop are wireless. No I haven't considered I.E. 8 because of all the problems I have been reading about it.

Thanks
    H Lewton

Thanks
    [quote name='hlewton' post='769797' date='08-Apr-2009 20:56']Using I.E. 7 as my browser at forums like this I will click inside the text box like I have done here and start typing. Since I have to keep looking at the keyboard as I type I don't always notice the exact moment it happens but often times the cursor will no longer be inside the text box and I have to click inside it again to continue typing and also have to retype from the point it jumped out of the text box. Any ideas why this would be happening and how it can be corrected?[/quote]
    Next time it happens, try clicking Shift+Tab and see if that brings the focus back.
    If it does, you may be inadvertently hitting the Tab key which is moving focus on to whatever the next focus point is (in this instance, it is the Add Reply button).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='769889' date='09-Apr-2009 14:46']Next time it happens, try clicking Shift+Tab and see if that brings the focus back.
    If it does, you may be inadvertently hitting the Tab key which is moving focus on to whatever the next focus point is (in this instance, it is the Add Reply button).[/quote]
    Thank you I will try that as soon as it happens which shouldn't be too long from now.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='hlewton' post='769887' date='09-Apr-2009 13:14'][/quote]

Which IE8 problems would that be?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='769900' date='09-Apr-2009 17:04']Which IE8 problems would that be?

Joe[/quote]For instance I read the following plus more that I can't quote at present but here is enough to stop me from installing it. The "I" below is not me by the way. The entire paragraph is a quote.

I installed IE8 on both my desktop with Windows XP and my laptop with Vista and had problems from the beginning with getting to many websites that I was always able access with IE7. Both machines had problems gettting onto verizon.com. The browser would crash on this and other sites. I called Microsoft and was talking with them for 1 hour with the tech using remote access to find the problem. She wasn't able to correct the situation even with several changes to my computer. I finally hung up with her and uninstalled IE8. It automatically brought back IE7 and my computers are working great again. I'm going to wait for some time now until Microsoft gets all the bugs out of this new version of their browser before I'd consider reinstalling. For now, there is now reason to change.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='hlewton' post='769901' date='09-Apr-2009 16:16'][/quote]

I can get to the Verizon site and several pages on it with IE 8 on XP Pro (desktop & notebook), Vista, & Server 2003. I've not had a site yet that I've been unable to access. Plus I find IE8 faster to connect to sites, more responsive on my system (and others which I access), and other new features (which are enumerated at Internet Explorer 8: Features).

It is certainly your perogative to not install IE8. However, you can always try IE8 and see if it works for you. If not, just uninstall it and IE7 will be restored automatically.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='769905' date='09-Apr-2009 17:39']I can get to the Verizon site and several pages on it with IE 8 on XP Pro (desktop & notebook), Vista, & Server 2003. I've not had a site yet that I've been unable to access. Plus I find IE8 faster to connect to sites, more responsive on my system (and others which I access), and other new features (which are enumerated at Internet Explorer 8: Features).

It is certainly your perogative to not install IE8. However, you can always try IE8 and see if it works for you. If not, just uninstall it and IE7 will be restored automatically.

Joe[/quote]
    Thanks Joe for the information.
    H Lewton

Thanks
    [quote name='hlewton' post='769901' date='09-Apr-2009 14:16']I'm going to wait for some time now until Microsoft gets all the bugs out of this new version of their browser before I'd consider reinstalling. For now, there is now reason to change.[/quote]
    Microsoft made some design changes in IE8 that require some web sites to update their scripts. Major sites have been preparing for this, but there probably are a lot of sites that waited for the final release, and will just not work quite right until they are updated. I suspect that within a few months, most users will find far fewer problems using IE8, even if Microsoft does nothing during that time, as developers update their web sites.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='769934' date='09-Apr-2009 20:16'][/quote]

IE8 has a list of known sites that have compatability problems and will automatically render those sites in compatability mode. See IEBlog : Compatibility View Improvements to come in IE8 and Description of the Compatibility View list in Windows Internet Explorer 8 for more information. SeeDownload details: Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for the list.

Joe
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast