5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On 1.15.09, I modified Normal.dot so that all of the headers had no numbering scheme assigned. Yet today, upon selecting ďautomatically update document stylesĒ in the Templates and Add-ins box of a document I created last September, headings 1-4 and 8 and 9 had numbering schemes assigned.

I then opened up Normal.dot and manually removed the numbering scheme on headings 1-4 and 8 and 9. I then went back into the document I created last September and once again updated the document styles. This time, something totally unpredicted happened. Rather than disappear, the numbering scheme remained, but this time, it was all mixed up, with heading 1 being assigned ďChapter 1,Ē heading 2 being assigned ď1.1,Ē and some headings, such as heading 8, being assigned nothing at all.

Is there a way to definitively program Normal.dot to not assign a numbering scheme to my headings unless I affirmatively choose otherwise?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps you should also activate the Bullets and Numbering dialog, activate the Outline Numbered tab, click each numbering scheme in turn and click the Reset button if it is enabled. Finally, click Cancel to close the dialog without applying a numbering scheme

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Hans,

For some reason, resetting the numbering schemes appears to work. But now won't I lose all the custom changes I labored so hard over in customizing my outline schemes?

John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Try it out on a copy of your document...