Thanks
    I am trying to change the default player for wav files, but Windows won't let me.

If I go to the "Default Programs", and select wav files, I can select another program, but then it is still played by Windows Media Player.

How can I get the default to change?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='769929' date='09-Apr-2009 19:34'][/quote]

Try Control Panel | Programs | Default Programs | Associate a file type or protocol with a progam.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='769931' date='09-Apr-2009 17:59']Try Control Panel | Programs | Default Programs | Associate a file type or protocol with a progam.

Joe[/quote]

Joe, I didn't see my response posted, so here it is again:

I tried that, and something must be blocking it, because when I browse and select the program, it doesn't move up into the "box" at the top, as a choice (later if I go back into "default programs"). And still, when I double-click a wav file WinMedia plays it.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='769936' date='09-Apr-2009 21:11'][/quote]

To select the program are you double clicking or selecting the 'pressing' open? Are you saying the program (which is?) does not appear anywhere? Can you post a screen shot or two?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='769937' date='09-Apr-2009 19:30']To select the program are you double clicking or selecting the 'pressing' open? Are you saying the program (which is?) does not appear anywhere? Can you post a screen shot or two?

Joe[/quote]

Joe, I got so tired of screwing with it, I went back a step to an image I have of JUST the hardware, and started over.

I attached the graphic just fyi. See "Microwav"? I've had this for some time, and it's never given me so much as a burp. And it wasn't MW, but rather Windows Player that wouldn't release the program.

Before I restored the image, when I would browse to MW and select it, WinMedia would pop up instead, playing the wave file. And when I went to default programs and went to the wav extension, I wasn't allowed to select anything else.

Now this wouldn't normally be much of a deal, except that I had just finished setting up everything -- 2 days worth -- and then this happened -- and this is the SECOND time in the last couple three weeks or so that all of a sudden, I was getting errors on WMV and audio files, and couldn't re-associate and fix it. It wouldn't even play the files with Windows Media Player. I think I posted on it then as well.

I also understand that this is a beta, but it seems important enough that MS would want to fix it before release --

Now, as I move slowly and cautiously forward -- again -- will setting restore points after each program install save enough so that if it occurs again all I'll have to retreat is one install?

Regards,
    Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='769938' date='09-Apr-2009 23:20']I also understand that this is a beta, but it seems important enough that MS would want to fix it before release[/quote]
    Are YOU sending feedback to Microsoft on the MANY things you've found wrong in your BETA travels? I hope so!

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='769938' date='09-Apr-2009 22:20'][/quote]

Are you saying that now after you've restored the image you can change the file association?

Did this program work under Vista? Is it supposed to work with Win7?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='769951' date='10-Apr-2009 02:41']Are YOU sending feedback to Microsoft on the MANY things you've found wrong in your BETA travels? I hope so![/quote]

Frankly Al, I usually check here (after google etc.) to see if maybe I missed somethiing or it's already a "known", or I'm just trying to do something that is "too much". After that, yes, I do and have. Often I find it's something I'm doing worng, or maybe a tweak they wouldn't support anyway. So I try to keep my questions focused -- at least in my own mind -- on things that ultimately anyone could come across.

Chuck

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='769973' date='10-Apr-2009 06:12']Are you saying that now after you've restored the image you can change the file association?

Did this program work under Vista? Is it supposed to work with Win7?

Joe[/quote]

Joe, yes, now, after a restore, I can.

That image is from a couple days ago, and it all worked then. Then, all of a sudden....

And it's all at one: the wmv files won't play, the associations won't change, and the errors and the files pop up -- the same files that worked before and do so now.

Did it work before? Yes. Did it work under Vista? Yes. Is it "supposed to"? My guess would be that it maybe is and maybe isn't, that "the powers" wouldn't commit eother way. It's worked (well) for me all the way back to Win_2000. It has no other connetion, memory hook or link, or process. It has no install program or process. You just associate it with the WAV files, and it plays them -- instantly.

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='769993' date='10-Apr-2009 11:43'][/quote]

Maybe you need to run it in compatability mode. Some programs that are not certified for Vista/7 will do strange things at strange times.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='769996' date='10-Apr-2009 09:54']Maybe you need to run it in compatability mode. Some programs that are not certified for Vista/7 will do strange things at strange times.

Joe[/quote]

Got it. Thanks Joe.