New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi everybody,

I hope someone can give me some advice.

Some years ago I bought a laptop with XP Home & Office 2003 preinstalled. Because of problems with XP Home I did a clean install of XP Professional & reinstalled Office 2003. Since then I have never been able to install updates for Office as I don't have the appropriate version for Professional.

I don't want to have to spend money on a program I use rarely but would like to be able to update the one I have.

Any ideas on how I can do this?

Regards,

Bethikins

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

If Office 2003 came preinstalled, it was probably an OEM version that is bound to the hardware/windows configuration you bought it with. Installing Windows XP Professional changed this configuration. You might contact Microsoft to explain the situation; they may be willing to solve the problem for you.

Otherwise, you could try OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite. It can read and write Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents.

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='769956' date='10-Apr-2009 10:57']Welcome to the Lounge!

If Office 2003 came preinstalled, it was probably an OEM version that is bound to the hardware/windows configuration you bought it with.[/quote]
    Is that right? I knew it was only licensed for the computer it came with, but I didn't know you couldn't update the OS. That's a bit limiting!

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not 100% certain about it, but the whole idea of an OEM license is rather limiting...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you reinstalled Office 2003, then you have the CD(s), right?

If NOT , how did you reinstall it?

It should NOT be linked to the OS but the machine if it is a OEM version of Office?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='770357' date='13-Apr-2009 21:01']... the whole idea of an OEM license is rather limiting...[/quote]
    Yes, but for an individual rather than a corporate buyer, it's all one can generally afford. I often wonder who pays full price for Office. I don't as an individual, because the most I can run to is an OEM version. (That's quite expensive, in fact.) And my employer doesn't, because they get a huge volume discount.

But there's a danger of getting off-topic, so I'll desist.

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='bethikins' post='769953' date='10-Apr-2009 10:45']Hi everybody,

I hope someone can give me some advice.

Some years ago I bought a laptop with XP Home & Office 2003 preinstalled. Because of problems with XP Home I did a clean install of XP Professional & reinstalled Office 2003. Since then I have never been able to install updates for Office as I don't have the appropriate version for Professional.

I don't want to have to spend money on a program I use rarely but would like to be able to update the one I have.

Any ideas on how I can do this?

Regards,

Bethikins[/quote]
    Hi again everybody,

Thanks for the advice - I contacted Microsoft as you suggested and had a very helpful reply back!!

They have given me a link to Windows Installer Cleanup Utility which I'm supposed to use and then another link to download and install Office 2003 Standard
    free of charge plus the product key.

I haven't done it yet as I've been away for Easter but will let you know how I get on.

Oh, yes I did have the CD's to reininstall.

Thanks again,
    Bethikins

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi again,

I have now done what Microsoft suggested - downloaded Window Installer Cleanup, reinstalled Windows 2003 and installed the updates. Everything seems to be working very well.

I have a linked question which I'm not sure if I should post separately :
    Can I now install Office 2003 Standard edition using the product key which Microsoft gave me on my other computer with Vista? If not, I'll stick with the Open Office Org program which I have installed there.

Thanks,

Bethikins

Thanks
    [quote name='bethikins' post='771180' date='18-Apr-2009 08:56']Can I now install Office 2003 Standard edition using the product key which Microsoft gave me on my other computer with Vista? If not, I'll stick with the Open Office Org program which I have installed there.[/quote]
    Some of Microsoft's Office licenses cover multiple PCs. When you installed Office 2003 Standard Edition, you should have accepted an end user license agreement. That agreement would govern whether you can install on a second device. To view the license again from inside Word, use Help>About Microsoft Word>View the End-User License Agreement.

(Back then I think the retail license (not the OEM license, and not the "Not for Resale" license) allowed installation on one primary computer and one portable computer. However, it has been a few years since I checked that.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='771181' date='18-Apr-2009 16:40']Some of Microsoft's Office licenses cover multiple PCs. When you installed Office 2003 Standard Edition, you should have accepted an end user license agreement. That agreement would govern whether you can install on a second device. To view the license again from inside Word, use Help>About Microsoft Word>View the End-User License Agreement.

(Back then I think the retail license (not the OEM license, and not the "Not for Resale" license) allowed installation on one primary computer and one portable computer. However, it has been a few years since I checked that.)[/quote]

Hi,
    I've checked the end-user license agreement and it does allow installation on 1 primary and 1 portable so I'll go ahead and install.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Bethikins

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This sounds close to my problem: my old PC crashed, taking everything with it. I have the OEM Office 2003 disks and product key. Will I be able to install that on my replacement PC?

Thanks
    [quote name='Torquemada' post='773417' date='02-May-2009 16:04']This sounds close to my problem: my old PC crashed, taking everything with it. I have the OEM Office 2003 disks and product key. Will I be able to install that on my replacement PC?[/quote]
    Strictly speaking, you shouldn't. The licence for an OEM version allows you only to install it on the PC you bought it with. Whether it would in fact work, I can't say.

Ian