New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I had to go to MS Help twice to get viruses out of my computer. since then, I have not been able to left-click to open some links. I have to right-click and then left click on "Open". That would be fine except some om my links are in dropdown menus that are highlighted when I move the pointer over them. These won't give me the menu with "Open" on it.

How do I get back the ability to left-click all of my links? I have Vista Home Premium and IE8.

Thank you.

Lily

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='newyorklily' post='769961' date='10-Apr-2009 07:25'][/quote]

Try going to Control Panel | Programs | Default Programs | Set your default programs. Select IE, then click "Set this program as default".

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you but it didn't work. I followed your instructions twice and I still can't left-click. I even restarted and did a scan for viruses; nothing. Are there any other ways?

I'm also finding that it seems to ramdomly toss out my log-ins.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='newyorklily' post='769985' date='10-Apr-2009 10:45'][/quote]

Is it correct that the left-click works properly with other programs?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, the left-click works normally with everything else, even when I open a website site in my "Favorites" list. Even with some links it allows me to open with a left-click. It is with some links that it will give me a "beep" when I left-click so then I have to right-click and then left-click where it says "open".

The only oddity is in Word Documents where I have to "control-click" to open a link, but I think that's normal for the program.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='newyorklily' post='770005' date='10-Apr-2009 13:04'][/quote]

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE8?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That sounds complicated. If I uninstall it, does it stay in my computer so I can reinstall it? Otherwise, how would I get it off the Internet again? Forgive me, I am really clueless when it comes to this stuff.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='newyorklily' post='770058' date='10-Apr-2009 19:28']That sounds complicated. If I uninstall it, does it stay in my computer so I can reinstall it? Otherwise, how would I get it off the Internet again? Forgive me, I am really clueless when it comes to this stuff.[/quote]
    If you don't have a resident copy saved that you can use for installation, you need to get a copy first.

You can get it here: Let me Google that for you

Then, uninstall your current version, reboot and install a fresh copy with the one you downloaded.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks
    [quote name='newyorklily' post='770058' date='10-Apr-2009 16:28']Otherwise, how would I get it off the Internet again?[/quote]
    After you uninstall IE8, the earlier version (probably you have IE7) comes back to life so you can still browse the web.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you everyone, for your help. I was afraid to uninstall IE8 so I downloaded Mozilla Firefox instead. It seems to be working very well now so I might not go back to IE8.

Lily

Thanks
    [quote name='newyorklily' post='770242' date='12-Apr-2009 20:55']I was afraid to uninstall IE8 so I downloaded Mozilla Firefox instead. It seems to be working very well now so I might not go back to IE8.[/quote]
    Firefox is great, I use it as my primary browser. However, some sites don't work well in Firefox, and some applications integrate IE8 for their internet browsing capabilities, so we probably should come back to this issue when you have some free time.

I haven't heard of links that beep when you click them. One thought was that perhaps you have an add-in that applies some kind of security protection to those links. This could be in the form of a browser toolbar. Maybe others will recognize the behavior.