1. New Lounger
    Thanks

"Save As" display order

Win98SE
    IE v 5.50.4522.1800

When I attempt to save an internet download from IE (either by double-click or right click), in the "Save As" dialog box, previous downloads are listed in "date-created" order, not in alphabetical order (which was the original and my preferred order).

Folders are listed first (in date-creation order) then files (also in date-creation order).

Is there a way to revert back to the default alphabetical order for both folders first, then files?

Thanks
    Bill

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. ileacy

Re: "Save As" display order

Suspect that this is the order you set the last time you were in the folder with Windows Explorer.

Use WE to navigate to your download folder and reset the sort options the way you want them.

4. New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: "Save As" display order

Actually that doesn't solve the problem...
    I've tried resetting all folders,
    reordering by alpha and "making all folders like this folder", but none of that seems to work...
    It's pretty frustrating, but I suspect a registry hack will be needed to get it back to where it was.
    And no, I don't know how I managed to get it out of alpha sort order...
    Thanks,
    Bill

5. Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re:

Check out this KB, it might help you out.
    ================================================== ======
    <font color=red>MS Knowledge Base Article:
    Q233526 - Contents of the Open and Save As Dialog Boxes Sorted Incorrectly
    To resolve this issue, set the ShellState value in the registry to the default value. To do so, use Registry Editor to view the following registry key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorer

If needed, edit the "ShellState" value to match the following value:
    1C 00 00 00 A7 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00</font color=red><font color=448800>

NOTE: You do not have to restart your computer for these changes to take effect.</font color=448800>

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

6. New Lounger
    Thanks

That DID it!

Thanks very much for the help, Dave.
    I spent about two hours searching the KB, but obviously didn't input the proper search string combination.

How did you find it? And any suggestion for searching the KB (so I don't have to bother you so frequently)? LOL

Thanks again,
    Bill

7. Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: That DID it!

I have a Access data base with these older fixes listed in it, by subject title. As for the KB's, MS has been redoing their web pages so there are changes. If you have the KB number search on it but make sure that you have correct button selected.
    As for SUBJECT you need to try and use any key work that is listed in a error message, or be open as to what someone else would use as a key word.

I found this one one another forum and saved it in my data base. I have never (knot on wood) had to use it.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

8. ileacy

Re:

Nice catch Dave.

Was just about ready to hit KB myself before I, luckily, clicked on the e-mail link to the thread.