New Lounger
    Thanks

Print first page of emails (2000/SR1)

I need to print a large number (900 +) of bounce replies so we can purge the bad emails from our database. However, some of the bounces returned the attachment as 30+ page of gibberish. I can't seem to find an option in Outlook to print only the first page of an email. How can I do this?

Thank you,
    DeNae Leverentz
    UGS

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How about a workaround?

Instead of printing, save them as text files. Open them from Word and print just the "current" page. You can use a macro for that part, at least. I don't know about saving them as text.

Thanks

Re: Print first page of emails (2000/SR1)

This is one of the terrible weaknesses of the Outlook text editor. What I do when I want to print only the first page of a message is choose Edit|Edit Message, and eyeball where I think the end of the first page will be, and select and delete everything after that. Not a very accurate method.

If you could get the already-received messages to open in Word as the editor, of course, you could use Word's print dialog which allows you to print just the first page.

This suggests that you automate the process from Word. That is, create a macro in Word to open, print page 1, and then close each of the 900 (yikes!) messages. I'm not sure you would be able to show the headers, but maybe they're useless in this case?

Maybe there is a shortcut to what you are doing. Do you really need a printout, or is this just a way to get the information out of OL? Maybe if you had a program to read out the first, say, 25 lines of the message body and throw it into a Word document or long text file, that would be just as good? Would be a fun programming project...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is pretty much what we instruct our users to do. Word is not our default editor, but they can switch to Word for this purpose. They open an item, then within Word they just print the 1st page.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the suggestions! I do need to actually print them out, as the clerk who will be doing the purge does not have access to email. It sounds like switching to Word as my email editor is my fastest solution.

My next question is, how do I change my editor to Word and how do I change it back after I'm done?

Thank you!
    DeNae

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In OL2k you go to:
    Tools | Options | Mail Format Tab
    Msg Format = Rich Text
    Put a check in "Use Microsoft Word to edit ...

That should do it for you.