New Lounger
    Thanks
    Noobie to Windows XP here. I just recently bought a new PC with XP Pro SP3 installed by the vendor. One of the annoyances I'd like to get rid of is the Windows Live Messenger, which pops open every time I boot. The window asks me to sign in with my Windows Live ID or to sign up if I don't already have an ID. When I close the window, the icon moves to the system tray and I get a little pop-up message saying Windows Live Messenger is still running and anxiously awaiting my humble bidding.

I don't IM, and I have no desire to use Live Messenger. I want to fix things so that window never shows up when I boot and so the icon doesn't show in the system tray. I have already gone to "add/remove programs", selected the Windows Components list, and unchecked MSN Messenger. Then, I went to Program Files, found the folder named "Messenger", verified that it contained the executable msmsgs.exe, and renamed the folder "Useless Program". I could not find a folder specifically referencing Windows Live Messenger. The next time I booted, the Windows Live Messenger popped up again, just like in the wonderful midway game "Whack-a-Mole".

Anybody out there know how I can permanently whack that mole?

Thanks in advance

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='FaustoC' post='770071' date='10-Apr-2009 22:21'][/quote]

Welcome to the Lounge!

Live Messenger is part of the Windows Live Essentials suite of programs. There is not a separate install/uninstall routine for the components of the suite. If you start the uninstall process for the suite you should be able to choose which individual programs you wish to uninstall such as WLM.

Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='FaustoC' post='770071' date='11-Apr-2009 04:21'][/quote]
    Windows Live Messenger has the path "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe".

Download and unzip Autoruns. Execute the Autoruns.exe file and it will give you a whole set of tabs with programs which run at startup. The first tab to try is the one called Logon. Find msnmsgr.exe in there (or perhaps elsewhere) and remove the tick from the box in front of it. Click on the diskette Save icon at the top left, or choose File->Save. Next time you reboot, you shouldn't get Windows Live Messenger starting up!

Later. Alternatively, and undoubtedly quicker, let it start up, and click on Tools -> Options -> Sign In. At the top of the window, remove the tick from in front of "Automatically run Windows Live Messenger when I log on to Windows." Click on Apply and OK, or just OK. Happiness should occur...
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    joeperez, BATcher -

Thanks for the help. I've downloaded AutoRuns and I'm glad you told me which tab to check - there's a LOT of information there. It seems to be a case of the more I know, the more I realize I don't know. Anyhow, I've unchecked the msnmsgr line, so when I boot tomorrow I should be a happy camper.

Again, many thanks for your expertise.

I probably should have added that XP is the first new OS I've had at home since I replaced DOS 5.1 with Peter Norton's NDOS and wrote some batch files to generate a simple menu screen for all my programs. XP is, shall we say, going to present a serious learning curve.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='FaustoC' post='770155' date='11-Apr-2009 19:29']I probably should have added that XP is the first new OS I've had at home since I replaced DOS 5.1 with Peter Norton's NDOS and wrote some batch files to generate a simple menu screen for all my programs. XP is, shall we say, going to present a serious learning curve.[/quote]

Then you will be ripe to jump right in when Windows 7 is released

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='770183' date='12-Apr-2009 10:26']Then you will be ripe to jump right in when Windows 7 is released [/quote]
    As Bill Cosby's Noah told God when informed of the impending flood, "Riiiiggghhhhht"

BTW - I didn't see the whacked mole when I booted up a few minutes ago.