Thread: XP Stability

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

XP Stability

Hi Dave
    I've been running XP Professional (RC1) for a day or two. I must say I like it and would like to get it to work. This Forum goes into my PCP.
    It seems ok in my (now) triple boot system, except that I've crashed it once or twice. eg. In a DUC/Properties/Networking an attempt to Uninstall MS Client for Networks froze things solid. I have made it do this sort of thing several times. Once it crashes, it tends to stay crashed.
    At one time (still no idea why) I could dial up and surf, but if I disconnected I could never get in again anywhere (OE or IE) until I'd cold-booted. I think this could have been down to Zone Alarm, as when I shut it down, the next boot things were normal.
    Overall, and as a very preliminary opinion: visually superb, and functionally interesting (if you've used Windows 2000, it is intuitive) and there's always the 'revert to classic' option. In the revision I have, it's not as stable of Win2kP. Probably my fault, but I also find that I'm having to log in each time to weg pages. Probably the IE privacy set too high. Oh, and the icon for my removeable hard drive ( in spite of Registry Mount point tweaks) will not display in My Comp. as I want.
    I saw your point about Norton, and as I run NAV and NUT under2k, I shall need to upgrade - I've only just bought these, so the upgrade better be free.

Rgds

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: XP Stability

MerC,

Glad to see that you like XP. As for the Crashing, I have NOT run into any crashes, but I have not tried to uninstall any of the Windows installed components. As for ZoneAlarm, make sure that you have version 2.6.231 or greater. This version was made using XP, we tested, using XP, several versions before ZoneLabs released this one.

The RTM version seems to be better yet. The only problem I have run into is when the computer comes out of "Hibernation" it will lose the network connection.
    As to having to login at web pages, I have not had that problem either. All of my accounts and passwords are working when ever I go the save accounts.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, 'coming out of hibernation'. That could be it. I leave my machine on permanently. When I return, it lets me dial on once only, whatever the program. Thereafter it hangs when checking User name and Password. It wasn't any fault in Zone Alarm.

Rgds

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have never been a fan of hibernation, and have it turned off on ALL of my machines. There seems to be more problems that there are benefits.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.