5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    rptMain is a listing of club Members

rptSub is a detail level sub report for each member depicting seminar paid date

The field txtPaidOn is in rptSub and reflects a payment has been made when not null

The txtPaidOn data name is PaidDate

I'm trying to add a "Count" in the rptMain footer equivalent to the number of rptSub's "Paid dates"

I've looked thru all of my own stuff, but haven't found anything that tried this and I've "searched" the forum without success which is probably because I haven't worded the search correctly.

As always, would appreciate any help with this
    Cheers,
    Andy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There are several convoluted ways of doing that - most of which rely on putting a count in a hidden control in the sub-report footer that does the count and then updating the value on the main report footer. But is it necessary to have a subreport for what you are doing? It sounds from your description that you might be able to do a detail record in the body of the report and put the seminar description in either the report header or in a "group by" header, and put the total in the report footer, or the "group by" footer. That a fairly common way of doing this kind of report and avoids the problem of working with subreports.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='WendellB' post='770142' date='11-Apr-2009 17:19']There are several convoluted ways of doing that - most of which rely on putting a count in a hidden control in the sub-report footer that does the count and then updating the value on the main report footer. But is it necessary to have a subreport for what you are doing? It sounds from your description that you might be able to do a detail record in the body of the report and put the seminar description in either the report header or in a "group by" header, and put the total in the report footer, or the "group by" footer. That a fairly common way of doing this kind of report and avoids the problem of working with subreports.[/quote]

Hi Wendell,

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately in this case, I have to do it the hard way. I would have normally embedded the seminar data in the individual's record. This would work if they attended only one seminar. In this case any one member can attend any number of seminars and the data for these seminars is tracked on an ongoing basis. So it would necessitate having multiple fields within the one record and that just wouldn't be appropriate in this case.

What I have is a sub table which is related to the individual and can therefore track an infinite number of seminar attendances. This whole thing, I agree, is like sitting on a cactus.

I'd be interested in seeing/hearing an example that you alluded to with hidden control scenario.

Again, thanks kindly for your suggestions,
    Cheers,
    Andy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AGMCon' post='770157' date='12-Apr-2009 14:47']Hi Wendell,

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately in this case, I have to do it the hard way. I would have normally embedded the seminar data in the individual's record. This would work if they attended only one seminar. In this case any one member can attend any number of seminars and the data for these seminars is tracked on an ongoing basis. So it would necessitate having multiple fields within the one record and that just wouldn't be appropriate in this case.

What I have is a sub table which is related to the individual and can therefore track an infinite number of seminar attendances. This whole thing, I agree, is like sitting on a cactus.

I'd be interested in seeing/hearing an example that you alluded to with hidden control scenario.

Again, thanks kindly for your suggestions,[/quote]
    Why go with a sub report scenario, this is what wendell suggested as well.
    You can do this via a grouping on change of individual, hence no need for sub reports. You can put your totals in the group footer for the individual.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='AGMCon' post='770157' date='11-Apr-2009 20:47']Hi Wendell,

Again, thanks kindly for your suggestions,[/quote]
    Pat has described the approach correctly. Put the data about the individual in the Group Header, the seminar data in the Detail section, and the totals in the Group Footer. Your data source would be to join the Individual record with the Seminar attendance record (joined on the Seminar description record if you have that in a separate table). I have a client who does seminars all over the world, and we use that approach for the report by person.
    Wendell