New Lounger
    Thanks
    In Office 2003, with WIN XP Professional, I am unable to open MS Word with Start/Programs/Office 2003. Options to open other Office applications are there but not Word. In addition, I am unable to make a shortcut for MS Word in the start menu or on the desktop.

The only way I can start a new Word document is to open an existing document and then to save it with another name. How can I create Word shortcuts and ensure Word is an Office option on the Programs menu?

Thank you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Meangino' post='770120' date='11-Apr-2009 10:49']In Office 2003, with WIN XP Professional, I am unable to open MS Word with Start/Programs/Office 2003.[/quote]

Have you tried a repair of your Office installation?

What happens when you try to create a shortcut? Error messgae? Can't find winword.exe?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez' post='770127 View Post
    What happens when you try to create a shortcut? Error messgae? Can't find winword.exe?

Joe
    I can create a shortcut to a specific Word document, but not a shortcut to the application.

Thank you.

Thanks
    [quote name='Meangino' post='770132' date='11-Apr-2009 15:03']I can create a shortcut to a specific Word document, but not a shortcut to the application.[/quote]
    You mean the system won't let you, or you're not sure how to do this?

If it's the latter, then in Windows Exlporer, drill down to c:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office 11. Find the Winword.exe file, left click ONCE to highlight the file, and then holding down the right mouse button, drag the file and drop it on the desktop (or wherever you want the shortcut) and then slect "Create shortcut here" when the dialogue window opens.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Rebel' post='770135' date='11-Apr-2009 19:29']You mean the system won't let you, or you're not sure how to do this?

If it's the latter, then in Windows Exlporer, drill down to c:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office 11. Find the Winword.exe file, left click ONCE to highlight the file, and then holding down the right mouse button, drag the file and drop it on the desktop (or wherever you want the shortcut) and then slect "Create shortcut here" when the dialogue window opens.[/quote]

Rebel, I meant to say I didn't know how to do it. Now I do and your explanation worked. Thank you.

Thanks
    [quote name='Meangino' post='770136' date='11-Apr-2009 15:44']Rebel, I meant to say I didn't know how to do it. Now I do and your explanation worked. Thank you.[/quote]
    Great! Glad that worked for you.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions