Thanks
    I'm not grasping something here:

As part of my backup, using a batch file I copy all the files from my "C" drive to a backup disk. But there's some typwe of translation that seems to take place, because folders that were / are part of my "All Users" Start Menu - "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" -- don't end up there on the backup drive -- or so it seems to me. It seems that they end up at "I:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs".

How / why is that?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='770240' date='12-Apr-2009 23:20']I'm not grasping something here:

As part of my backup, using a batch file I copy all the files from my "C" drive to a backup disk.[/quote]
    If YOU wrote the batch file Chuck, perhaps you should look at that ???
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks
    [quote name='Rebel' post='770244' date='12-Apr-2009 21:48']If YOU wrote the batch file Chuck, perhaps you should look at that ???[/quote]

John:

Yup, I did. I don't know if you are familiar with JPSoft's "Take Command", and if not, some of the command syntax make look starnge, but the flow is consistent with "regular dos". That batch file is a pure and simple copy expression "Anything on drive C copy intact to drive I, maintiaining folder structure and file attributes."

It copies to the WINDPWSCOPY folder because there's more on that drive than just the backed up files. But that doesn't affect or give me any idea how what is nothing but a shortcut on "C" can end up being a whole directory tree in "I:".

I get that it's got to do with backward compatibility, but what I don't get is the "how".

A folder that starts out on the original path as I posted has moved..."without being aked."
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Just copying files has NEVER been a good way to back up a system drive, you need to use an image backup program.

The specific files you are talking about will be linked to multiple places, to provide backward compatibility for old programs, but the real physical file will only be in one place. I suspect your file copy program doesn't understand these links.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='770240' date='12-Apr-2009 22:20']It seems that they end up at "I:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs".[/quote]

In Vista & Windows 7 there are many more uses of "special folders" which are really just a collection of links to where files really reside. That is part of the library concept in Windows 7. As Stuart said, there is a lot of compatability for older programs builtin. You should see if your program has a Vista or Win7 compatible udpate.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='770264' date='13-Apr-2009 06:26']In Vista & Windows 7 there are many more uses of "special folders" which are really just a collection of links to where files really reside. That is part of the library concept in Windows 7. As Stuart said, there is a lot of compatability for older programs builtin. You should see if your program has a Vista or Win7 compatible udpate.

Joe[/quote]

Joe/Stuart:

First, Stuart: I don't just copy the files. I DO use an imaging program -- True Image. But I found that if I often would need access to some files -- not system files, but program data files, and copying the group to a backup drive is just more efficient than worrying about which ones I got or didn't.

I understand the links in Vista for backward compatibility. I thought though, that to copy a link like that would work likje copying a shortcut. Obviously not. I will double-check on program updates though. Not on;ly is it not "just copying a shortcut", but it is then moving the files to the "old" location!

Regartds,
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='770313' date='13-Apr-2009 11:13']Not on;ly is it not "just copying a shortcut", but it is then moving the files to the "old" location![/quote]

That is because it does not know about the changed structure with Vista/7. It only knows the old structure so has no choice about where to put the files.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='770313' date='13-Apr-2009 12:13']Joe/Stuart:

First, Stuart: I don't just copy the files. I DO use an imaging program -- True Image.
    Regards,
    Chuck[/quote]
    Why not continue to use True Image and if you need to replace just some files, then mount the image created from TI, and pick and choose files from within the image copy?
    You don't have to restore everything from the image, just the ones you select.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Chuck,
    What BETA software are you referring in this thread?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='770362' date='13-Apr-2009 13:17']Chuck,
    What BETA software are you referring in this thread?[/quote]

Dave:

I'm sorry, I did it again, didn't I?

It's Windows 7 b7000

Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='770353' date='13-Apr-2009 12:28']Why not continue to use True Image and if you need to replace just some files, then mount the image created from TI, and pick and choose files from within the image copy?
    You don't have to restore everything from the image, just the ones you select.[/quote]

Bob, in great part, that's what I do. But since (on occasion I have had TI not able to read an image file, it's "insurance" I suppose.

I keep trying to get the "perfect setup" that I could then image and be down. I thought I had that a couple days ago, when I suddenly found that my Windows Media wasn't working. I had several restore points set, but that didn't repair whatever the problem was.

So here I am again.

Chuck