Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all

I desperately need help. Since I installed Internet Explorer 8, on my two Vista ultimate machines (one desktop, one laptop) right clicking on file or folder level makes Windows Explorer crash.
    Windows explorer crashes and closes immediately with an error message like: Windows Explorer encountered an error and needs to close. Right clicking works on Drive level (context menu appears) but not on folder or file level.

Also manual file operations do not work anymore. Ctrl-C, CTRL-X, DEL etc. make Windows explorer crash too. This happens even on the desktop.

Obviously I can not guarantee that the problem is linked to Internet Explorer 8 as many updates are happening in the background. But whatever it was, my only question is: how can I repair it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    This is probably caused by a context menu handler, rather than by IE8 itself.

This article describes how to investigate this kind of problem.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='770255' date='13-Apr-2009 13:33']This is probably caused by a context menu handler, rather than by IE8 itself.

This article describes how to investigate this kind of problem.[/quote]

I thank you Stuart,
    sorting the list by date and then disabling the context menu handlers made me find the culprit: it was a Symantec component for Norton Anti Virus. disabling it, gave me back my computer.

Again thank you very much
    BPB

PS I have attached the calling card of the culprit

[attachment=83307:image001.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='bpbch' post='770292' date='13-Apr-2009 09:58']it was a Symantec component for Norton Anti Virus.[/quote]

This Internet Explorer 8 compatibility with Norton 2008 products says that if your products are up-to-date you should be OK. It recommends running Live Update.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='770297' date='13-Apr-2009 17:26']This Internet Explorer 8 compatibility with Norton 2008 products says that if your products are up-to-date you should be OK. It recommends running Live Update.

Joe[/quote]

I have live update on automatic. Butbased on your recommendation I will run it manually to see if it helps. If not i will disable it also on my second machine.

Tks for the help
    BPB