Thread: Can't send mail

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Suddenly Outlook (2003) can no longer send mail. (Receive mail is OK.) Error message says it timed out waiting for SMTP server to respond. Talked to Verizon, my ISP. They had me change the SMTP port to 587, no luck. Test Account Settings works. Can send from VZ web mail. Disabled Norton IS email scanning, no luck. PC is Windows XP SP3. Tried my Vista PC on the same LAN, works fine.
    No new software has been installed. Norton did an update this morning.
    I'd appreciate any suggestions.
    HH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Howard Hillman' post='770326' date='13-Apr-2009 12:13']No new software has been installed. Norton did an update this morning.[/quote]

Are you using the Norton firewall? Have you tried disabling it just to see if you can receive mail then turn it back on?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I was going to suggest that you use telnet to test your ability to connect, rather than relying on the built-in test. However, it appears to be a little more complicated than I remembered. If you choose to try it, using either these or other directions, note that you would change port 25 to port 587. How to Use Telnet to Test SMTP Communication.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='770339' date='13-Apr-2009 19:52']Are you using the Norton firewall? Have you tried disabling it just to see if you can receive mail then turn it back on?

Joe[/quote]

Sorry for the delay in answering. Turning off firewall did not help. Neither did rebooting. Turned off PC, went to bed. Rebooted next morning and all was well. Ain't technology grand?
    HH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Howard Hillman' post='774582' date='10-May-2009 14:47']Sorry for the delay in answering. Turning off firewall did not help. Neither did rebooting. Turned off PC, went to bed. Rebooted next morning and all was well. Ain't technology grand?
    HH[/quote]

Sometimes it sure is grand. At least it is working. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe