Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Nir Sofer has released the WhatInStartup - Disable/enable/delete programs running at Windows startup. As with almost all his programs no install is required.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='770388' date='14-Apr-2009 01:19'][/quote]
    The great advantage of this tool is that it (apparently) prevents nefarious programs from re-enabling themselves (stand up Google Toolbar Update (swg) and Java JRE update, for example!).
    However, it does nothing for the newer situation where they set up scheduled tasks (GoogleUpdateTaskMachine and Ad-Aware Update (Weekly), for example), or even install themselves as services. To determine what happens here, we need Mark Russinovich's Autoruns.

Nir Sofer's range of utilities is extremely useful to the systems administrator, but antivirus programs arbitrarily define some of them (differently for each AV program) as Trojans or "Hack Tools".
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe... Nice find! This guy's utilities are great. And, they are a good deal at even twice the price.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='770388' date='13-Apr-2009 20:19']Nir Sofer has released ...[/quote]
    Thanks Joe, got it!

The only thing that irritates me because of "beginners" who may not realize, is the two RED download buttons plainly visible on the page. An inexperienced user might very well download the wrong thing or (shudder) something bad. Doggone ads are everywhere, not just his page...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='770388' date='13-Apr-2009 20:19']Nir Sofer has released ...[/quote]
    I tried a run with this software this morning, Joe and I liked what I saw. It also compares, line for line, with the entries that Autoruns shows in the LOGON tab and this one is probably a lot less confusing to a novice to medium experienced user.

While in there, I DID find a few things starting up that I don't want, so I accomplished something by my first run. Thanks again for the post.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='771104' date='17-Apr-2009 15:29']While in there, I DID find a few things starting up that I don't want, so I accomplished something by my first run. Thanks again for the post.[/quote]

You're welcome. It is nice to find a good, useful tool.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='771106' date='17-Apr-2009 16:34']You're welcome. It is nice to find a good, useful tool.[/quote]
    I thought I ought to bring this thread to the top again after just continuing your recommendation in an XP post. At the time of this thread this NEW utility was at version 1.0 and it has now been updated to 1.05.

When I first installed it, I allowed the automatic disabling function to run in the background and I don't find it to be obtrusive on my system. However, if you try to update THIS program and it's running in the background, you'll have to shut it down because it won't do that on its own. (I guess it's "protection" from a bad guy!)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='770388' date='14-Apr-2009 02:19']Nir Sofer has released the WhatInStartup - Disable/enable/delete programs running at Windows startup.[/quote]
    And with all the tools out there; AutoRuns and this etc., and other with similar capabilities included, such as Spybot - Search & Destroy, I guess one has to remember which software one used to disable something with.

Otherwise one might go on and uninstall a tool (or delete in this case) that one used and then some previously disabled entries can't be enabled, since, obviously, one tool doesn't look where other tools have hidden their backup of the key in the registry.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='776429' date='22-May-2009 08:43']And with all the tools out there; AutoRuns and this etc., and other with similar capabilities included, such as Spybot - Search & Destroy, I guess one has to remember which software one used to disable something with.

Otherwise one might go on and uninstall a tool (or delete in this case) that one used and then some previously disabled entries can't be enabled, since, obviously, one tool doesn't look where other tools have hidden their backup of the key in the registry.[/quote]

You are correct. Unfortunately there is no standard for that sort of registry manipulation.

That is why is seldom use anything other than Autoruns. I just presented this tool because it is simple, effective, and easier for a less experienced user to comprehend.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='776431' date='22-May-2009 09:57']You are correct. Unfortunately there is no standard for that sort of registry manipulation.[/quote]
    Now there's something I've never thought about. I have eight items disabled using WhatInStartup. I ran MSCONFIG just to see what it looks like and checked only two of the eight (Adobe's Speed Launcher and Google Updater). According to MSCONFIG those are not disabled, so THIS utility has done what you and Argus are saying. It has monkeyed with the registry without "telling" the OS what it has done. Hmmmm, have to keep this in mind. I don't plan on removing this utility but I wonder what would happen if you do uninstall it - that is would the disabled items be restored to active in the registry? I don't think I'll experiment right now.

Thanks
    I have been using this one for years:

Pacs PortalThanks Joe,
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)