5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

Sometimes, when I have only one document open in Word and I close it, all of Microsoft Word closes. Other times, when I close it, Microsoft Word stays open with a grey background where the open document previously was. Is there a way to configure it so that the latter always happens?

Regards,

JMT

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you sure that you are selecting "Close" and not "Exit"?
    Also which "x" are you using to close these files, the White one in the upper right corner, or the "Black" one that is just below the WHITE "x" on a RED button?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='770400' date='14-Apr-2009 05:11']Are you sure that you are selecting "Close" and not "Exit"?
    Also which "x" are you using to close these files, the White one in the upper right corner, or the "Black" one that is just below the WHITE "x" on a RED button?[/quote]
    Well, to be precise, I am pressing control + w. I am not clicking on any x.

Another piece of potentially useful information: when I open up Microsoft Word, I automatically get a document that opens up that is called "document 1." I then open up some other document and this causes document 1 to either automatically close down or to remain open. I think that when it closes down on its own, closing the last document that I have open in Word causes all of Word to shut down, and when it remains open when I open another document, closing down the last open document in Word (which incidentally usually is NOT document 1, since one of the first things I tend to do when starting Word is to close down document 1) causes Word to remain open but with a gray background.

Best regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Ctrl+W closes the active document window. If you have opened more than one window on the same document by selecting Window | New Window, Ctrl+W will close only one of those windows, not the document as a whole. If you have only one window open on a document (the default situation), closing the window also closes the document.

The startup behavior that you describe is normal: Word will create a blank new document Document1 when you start it. If you do not modify this blank document in any way, it will automatically be closed when you open an existing document. If you do modify it, it will remain open when you open an existing document. It is not necessary to close Document1 immediately after starting Word.

If you'd like to make sure that Word is closed when you close the last document, you can use Alt+F4 instead of Ctrl+W.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Hans,

What you are writing is inconsistent with my experiences. When I open Word, one of the following scenarios occurs:

1. I open Word and Document 1 appears. I make no changes to it. I then open a document. Document 1 remains open. I close down all of my documents one by one by pressing ctrl + W. When I close the last document, Word remains open with a grey background in place of an open document;

or

2. I open Word and Document 1 appears. I make no changes to it. I then open a document and Document 1 disappears. I close down all of my documents one by one by pressing ctrl + W. When I close the last document, Word closes.

As you can see, neither of these scenarios is normal: I either get Document 1 to remain open even when I open other documents or I get it to disappear, but all of Word closes down when I close down the last open document.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Regards,

JMT

Thanks
    [quote name='jmt356' post='771423' date='20-Apr-2009 12:32']When I open Word, one of the following scenarios occurs:[/quote]
    I usually get something like your scenario #1. However, when I use File>Open, any unchanged Document1 is closed. If Word is not open and I launch Word by double-clicking a document, there is no Document1.

Your scenario #2 sounds like some other automation or application inter-operation may be a factor in your environment.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks