Lounger
    Thanks
    I searched for this and did not find any answers, so:

Word 2003 SP2

Has anyone else have problems with the speller?

The symptoms I have are

a) the speller does not always flag an incorrectly spelt word or abbreviation.

b) a word or abbreviation may not be flagged until I make a change in the text just before the word.

c) I can have the same word or abbreviation several times on a page. One or more instances of the word may be flagged, while others are not - even in the same sentence. Or flagged in one document but not another.

I do not remember this problem with 97 or 2002.

I don't think this is just a corrupted speller as it happened on my "old" computer before it crashed. The "new" computer has the same Office installation, but from a different disk. Also, going from the original installation to SP2 made no difference.

thanks

Allan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The first thing I would suggest is that you select all the text in your document, and make sure the language is set correctly, and that No Proofing has not been set.

In Word 2003 you could do this by
    • Control-A
    • Tools > Language > Set Language...
    • Select the correct language
    • Clear the checkbox marked "Do not check spelling or grammar"
    • OK

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='770461' date='14-Apr-2009 10:40']The first thing I would suggest is that you select all the text in your document, and make sure the language is set correctly, and that No Proofing has not been set.

In Word 2003 you could do this by
    • Control-A
    • Tools > Language > Set Language...
    • Select the correct language
    • Clear the checkbox marked "Do not check spelling or grammar"
    • OK
    [/quote]

Unfortunately, this has no effect. Also, No Proofing would not give the symptom of one instance not flagged while another is flagged within the same sentence.

Allan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AllanBrown' post='770489' date='14-Apr-2009 18:28']No Proofing would not give the symptom of one instance not flagged while another is flagged within the same sentence.[/quote]
    It certainly would if one instance is marked No Proofing and the other is not!

What happens if you run a spell check? Does it find all the incorrectly spelled words or just the ones that were previously flagged?

What happens if you go to Tools > Options > Spelling & Grammar, and click the Check Document button?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR' post='770514 View Post
    What happens if you run a spell check? Does it find all the incorrectly spelled words or just the ones that were previously flagged?
    It will find only the flagged words.

Example, on one page I have 5 instances of AVC-LAN. Instances 1 and 4 were flagged (red line) while 2, 3 and 5 were not. Running the speller only found 1 and 4.

[quote name='StuartR' post='770514' date='14-Apr-2009 16:00']What happens if you go to Tools > Options > Spelling & Grammar, and click the Check Document button?[/quote]
    Depends on the weather, time of day, phase of the moon etc. It may work, it may work till you close and reopen the document, it may make no difference

As I said, this essentially happened on another computer as this is a new computer with a new installation.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you able to post a document that illustrates the problem you've described?

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='William' post='770963' date='16-Apr-2009 20:35']Are you able to post a document that illustrates the problem you've described?[/quote]

No, I am not able to post any documents at this time.

Here is another example. Two documents on screen at the same time. Both have the word indentifying.

In one document it is flagged as being wrong, while in the other it is not.

Both documents have the same settings for language and the speller, same styles and so on.

Nobody else have this problem?

Allan

Thanks
    [quote name='AllanBrown' post='771587' date='21-Apr-2009 10:14']Two documents on screen at the same time. Both have the word indentifying.

In one document it is flagged as being wrong, while in the other it is not.[/quote]
    I don't know what it means to "indentify" something. (Indent, yet, but indentify?). I think it's a typo, yet, in my copy of Word, the speller does not object to it. Very strange.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have any of the documents in question been created by an OCR (scanning) process? Or by a PDF to Word conversion process or something similar? The reason I ask is that this can sometimes produce words that look okay, but aren't, and are flagged by a spelling checker for no apparent reason.

I've noticed that certain letter combinations are more likely to produce this affect - especially the "fi" and "ti" combinations. They somehow become joined. It should be possible to detect this by an inability to select each letter separately. Another test is to copy the Word content and paste it into a text editor (other than Notepad). The joined letters are often replaced with a question mark. For example, what seems to be "benefit" in Word might be displayed in the text editor as "bene?t".

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='771590' date='21-Apr-2009 13:30']I don't know what it means to "indentify" something. (Indent, yet, but indentify?). I think it's a typo, yet, in my copy of Word, the speller does not object to it. Very strange.[/quote]

Right, it is a typo. And that is the problem as you can see. The speller does not always catch them as in my case and yours.

In my case, the same session of word with two open documents, one instance gets flagged while the other does not. It is very inconsistant.

Allan

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='William' post='771653' date='21-Apr-2009 20:49']Have any of the documents in question been created by an OCR (scanning) process? Or by a PDF to Word conversion process or something similar? The reason I ask is that this can sometimes produce words that look okay, but aren't, and are flagged by a spelling checker for no apparent reason.

I've noticed that certain letter combinations are more likely to produce this affect - especially the "fi" and "ti" combinations. They somehow become joined. It should be possible to detect this by an inability to select each letter separately. Another test is to copy the Word content and paste it into a text editor (other than Notepad). The joined letters are often replaced with a question mark. For example, what seems to be "benefit" in Word might be displayed in the text editor as "bene?t".[/quote]

No, this is not the case. These documents are created from scratch with a template that I created.

Allan

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All three stations in this Word Processing Department find that OUR Spellchecks do not stop on "indentify," either. Our Spellchecks also do not stop on "centre," even when language is correctly set to US English.

Consequently we've added these words to our Exclude dictionaries, causing Spellcheck to stop on them -- so thanks for the tip about "indentify," Allan!

(I'm sure there is a string in here someplace about how to set up an exclude dictionary, which is a text file that lists real (usually) words that a user WANTS Spell to stop on.)

Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='771590' date='21-Apr-2009 18:30']I don't know what it means to "indentify" something. (Indent, yet, but indentify?). I think it's a typo, yet, in my copy of Word, the speller does not object to it. Very strange.[/quote]
    I find that "indentify" is thought to be correct by my Word 2003 using English (UK) spelling. I have looked it up in the complete Oxford Dictionary, and it isn't there, so I assume that this is a mistake in the MS dictionary.

Ian