New Lounger
    Thanks
    After having become (as many seem to have become...) disgusted with Windows Vista, I've decided to return to Wondows XP Home Edition ... my question is ... with all of the noise being made about patching and updating ... which of them (i.e. patches and/or updates...) do I really need to install and which can I do without?

I use both IE6 and Firefox alternately, depending on where I'm going and what I need to do, but when it comes to IE - which should I upgrade to IE 7 or IE 8? Or would I be better off just tsaying with IE6 and take my chances with it?

Any thoughts/ideas or opinions will be appreciated...

Thanks much in advance...

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

It's difficult to assess which updates you REALLY need - I'd tend to download and install Windows XP SP3 first, if you don't already have that - you'd have all updates released up to SP3 in one go.
    Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to find out which of the post-SP3 updates are really necessary and let Microsoft Update install all of them.

I wouldn't recommend staying with Internet Explorer 6 - IE 7 and 8 are a lot more secure.
    IE8 appears to be working out well - its compatibility mode lets you visit almost all sites that do not work under standard IE8. So unless you have compelling reasons to choose IE7, I'd go for IE8.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='770363' date='13-Apr-2009 13:24']Welcome to the Lounge!

It's difficult to assess which updates you REALLY need - I'd tend to download and install Windows XP SP3 first, if you don't already have that - you'd have all updates released up to SP3 in one go.
    Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to find out which of the post-SP3 updates are really necessary and let Microsoft Update install all of them.

I wouldn't recommend staying with Internet Explorer 6 - IE 7 and 8 are a lot more secure.
    IE8 appears to be working out well - its compatibility mode lets you visit almost all sites that do not work under standard IE8. So unless you have compelling reasons to choose IE7, I'd go for IE8.[/quote]
    Thanks Hans for the response. I'm installing XP Home on the desktop as I reply. And will update/patch accordingly...