2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I set up a new computer last week with Windows XP and Office 2003. Although I don't think I made any weird security choices when I installed Office, whenever I click on a hyperlink in an e-mail message I get a pop up that says "This operation has been canceled due to the restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator. This puzzles me because I didn't place any restrictions on the computer when I set it up. I'm sure there's a way to fix it somewhere in Outlook or Internet Explorer's settings, I just don't know where. Any ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='chris.revere' post='770887' date='16-Apr-2009 14:05']Although I don't think I made any weird security choices when I installed Office, whenever I click on a hyperlink in an e-mail message I get a pop up that says "This operation has been canceled due to the restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.[/quote]

See if You receive an error message when you click a hyperlink in Outlook helps.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link, unfortunately I didn't find the page useful . I tried everything on the page and none of it worked.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='chris.revere' post='770897' date='16-Apr-2009 14:45']Thanks for the link, unfortunately I didn't find the page useful . I tried everything on the page and none of it worked.[/quote]

Does the registry key look OK now? Is this on a domain where there might be a policy pushed to the user?

Can you create another Outlook profile?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='chris.revere' post='770897' date='16-Apr-2009 12:45']Thanks for the link, unfortunately I didn't find the page useful . I tried everything on the page and none of it worked.[/quote]
    Do you have that command key in the registry? Here is what mine shows:

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htmlfile\shell\open\command]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\IEXPLORE.EXE\" -nohome"
    [attachment=83358:htmlfile..._command.zip]

If IE is not your default browser, than an entirely different key may be implicated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "If IE is not your default browser, than an entirely different key may be implicated."
    AHA! I had exported the registry key from a computer that uses Firefox as it's default browser.
    I tried this again with a PC that uses IE as it's default browser and it fixed the problem.

Many thanks Loungers!

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='chris.revere' post='771032' date='17-Apr-2009 10:31']"If IE is not your default browser, than an entirely different key may be implicated."
    AHA! I had exported the registry key from a computer that uses Firefox as it's default browser.
    I tried this again with a PC that uses IE as it's default browser and it fixed the problem.[/quote]

Great!! Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe