Thread: Ambiguous Joins

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm stumped. I've been an aspiring Access developer for a few months, and things went along nicely. Then, I needed to update some tables with fresh data, and a few key queries have gone haywire.

Two of my queries do not allow me to create any joins whatsoever without giving the "Ambiguous Outer Joins" alert. All of the others are operating as normal. I've checked and double checked my relationships. I've deleted all joins in Query Design View, adding one at a time unsuccessfully (I still receive the same error). Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Matt

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    This usually happens if you create outer joins.

Could you post a stripped down and zipped copy of your database? See Post 770847 for instructions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I re-wrote the original query, and it is operating as previous (i.e. no issues whatever). So, for now I am ok, but I would like to inquire more updating data.

I am still rather unsophisticated in this regard. For updates that involve adding records, I am using Append Queries with little trouble. But I do have more 'complex' needs, including changing a single field value for all records. And, these new values are not uniform percentage changes of the old value (i.e. its not a constant price increase to all products, it is new raw material pricing that changes uniquely for each record). I've played with Update Queries, in effort to replace this field, but have not been successful. Is this the right option, and, if so, what am I missing? If not, what are my options?

This is where undoubtedly where my initial problem started- to complete the pricing updates I tried to replace the entire table with a newly imported one. Thus, my relationships and joins got tangled in the process.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want to change the value of a single field in all records of a table, you basically have two options:
    1. Create and run an update query. You can use a formula to calculate the new value based on the value of other fields; you can use VBA functions such as IIf, DLookup etc. in your formula.
    2. Write and execute VBA code to loop through the records of the table and update the field. This is usually slower than an update query, but it works better than an update query if the calculations needed for the update are very complex. Writing such code is more difficult than creating a query, but we can help you with it if necessary.

For more specific help, we'd need to know some details of what you're trying to do.