3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Am looking at getting a new Laptop that comes with Vista Home Premium installed.
    Have they got all the bugs out of Vista yet? Have been very satisfied with XP and would prefer to continue with XP.
    What is involved with downgrading and is it worthwhile? Where or How best to have that done?

Thanx very much.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='PaJan' post='771556' date='21-Apr-2009 10:29']Am looking at getting a new Laptop that comes with Vista Home Premium installed.
    Have they got all the bugs out of Vista yet? Have been very satisfied with XP and would prefer to continue with XP.
    What is involved with downgrading and is it worthwhile? Where or How best to have that done?[/quote]

Microsoft has NOT gotten all the bugs out of Vista just as they have NOT gotten all the bugs out of XP.

Most of the early difficulties with applications and drivers have been long resolved. I recommend Vista over XP with no hesitation at this point as long as you don't have some wierd application that is not Vista compatible. Vista is much more secure by default and more stable than XP. That being said you need to make sure that the PC is properly configured to support Vista - at least a dual core 2.0 Ghz processor and 2GB RAM are what I'd consider a minimum.

NOTE: Unless you have an immediate need for a new PC, you should consider waiting until at least June to see if Microsoft (and OEMs) start an upgrade guarantee program for Windows 7. Windows 7 is proceeding to a release later this year. In the past, Microsoft has supported a program to allow you to upgrade to the next version (i.e. Windows 7) for free if you buy a PC once the program has started.

If you decide to go with XP anyway and you are purchasing from an OEM you need to check the OEM website to see if they are still offering XP and what the conditions are.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='771558' date='21-Apr-2009 11:41']Microsoft has NOT gotten all the bugs out of Vista just as they have NOT gotten all the bugs out of XP.

Most of the early difficulties with applications and drivers have been long resolved. I recommend Vista over XP with no hesitation at this point as long as you don't have some wierd application that is not Vista compatible. Vista is much more secure by default and more stable than XP. That being said you need to make sure that the PC is properly configured to support Vista - at least a dual core 2.0 Ghz processor and 2GB RAM are what I'd consider a minimum.

NOTE: Unless you have an immediate need for a new PC, you should consider waiting until at least June to see if Microsoft (and OEMs) start an upgrade guarantee program for Windows 7. Windows 7 is proceeding to a release later this year. In the past, Microsoft has supported a program to allow you to upgrade to the next version (i.e. Windows 7) for free if you buy a PC once the program has started.

If you decide to go with XP anyway and you are purchasing from an OEM you need to check the OEM website to see if they are still offering XP and what the conditions are.

Joe[/quote]
    Thanx very much for your prompt reply