Thanks
    I have some software that is running well under Windows 7, except that the (special) icon for the program(s) doesn't stick.

It will be there upon initial installation, and then down the road, it switches to a generic Windows icon, seemingly the first icon of the shel32.dll group.

What could cause this?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='771065' date='17-Apr-2009 12:25']What could cause this?[/quote]

What was the source of the icon? Perhaps it has been deleted. Perhaps the shortcut was modified. Perhaps the shortcut was corrupted.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='771096' date='17-Apr-2009 12:58']What was the source of the icon? Perhaps it has been deleted. Perhaps the shortcut was modified. Perhaps the shortcut was corrupted.

Joe[/quote]

Joe, huh-uh. They come from web links in some cases (that are still there), and I noticed it first with a program I run all the time, Total Commander, which is installed on my machine -- and has been in use since version 4 (now at pb7.5). The icon is part of the executable. (www.ghisler.com). It started with v7, and is still an issue with 7.5.

Strange.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='771110' date='17-Apr-2009 15:41']They come from web links in some cases (that are still there), and I noticed it first with a program I run all the time, Total Commander, which is installed on my machine -- and has been in use since version 4 (now at 8). The icon is part of the executable.[/quote]

Anything from a web link can disappear at any time. The icon is kept in your TIF. If you use a tool to clean your TIF or you do it manually they'll disappear. If IE needs to delete the file to be able to keep something else it'll disappear. That has been the purpose of tools such as AM-DeadLink - Download FavIcons and detect dead links in your browser bookmarks.

Where does the shortcut for Total Commander get the icon (i.e. what specifically is in the shortcut)?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='771113' date='17-Apr-2009 13:46']Anything from a web link can disappear at any time. The icon is kept in your TIF. If you use a tool to clean your TIF or you do it manually they'll disappear. If IE needs to delete the file to be able to keep something else it'll disappear. That has been the purpose of tools such as AM-DeadLink - Download FavIcons and detect dead links in your browser bookmarks.

Where does the shortcut for Total Commander get the icon (i.e. what specifically is in the shortcut)?

Joe[/quote]

Joe:

Yeah, I knownet icons are temp file items ... but they should be there when you first drop the link on the desktop, yes?

Below is the Properties sheet from TC. The icon comes right out of the exe file itself.

Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='771124' date='17-Apr-2009 16:32']Yeah, I knownet icons are temp file items ... but they should be there when you first drop the link on the desktop, yes?

Below is the Properties sheet from TC. The icon comes right out of the exe file itself.[/quote]

When you create a desktop shortcut for a URL the icon may or may not be there. You can't count on it.,

How do you know that the icon is from the .exe file?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='771139' date='17-Apr-2009 17:40']When you create a desktop shortcut for a URL the icon may or may not be there. You can't count on it.,

How do you know that the icon is from the .exe file?

Joe[/quote]

Joe, I'm sorry...yeah I know that. Usually if I save a url that I want the icon for as well, I dig it out of the temp folder and rename it. That way too, if it isn't there, I'll know right away.

I went back and re-installed TC in Compatible mode, so I'll see if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
    Chuck