New Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed a number of Windows Updates today and two failed - KB 95672 and KB 959426 - both are security updates for XP. I got Error Code 0x8007054F. I went to the Microsoft site and tried to install them manually and got the message "C:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll is open or in use by another application. Close all applications and then click retry". Why should only two of the updates fail; and how do I close the dll file?

I am running Windows XP Home with Service Pack 3 installed.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='eromittal' post='770996' date='17-Apr-2009 05:23']I installed a number of Windows Updates today and two failed - KB 95672 and KB 959426[/quote]
    First of all, is that first number correct? Now, the first think I would try is to reboot and immediately try again with the two patches.

If you still have the problem, have you a good antivirus program installed? Do you run any malware detection or prevention software? If the answer is "no" to either or both questions, you should do something about that.

Read this for a little info on the file you mentioned: What is the ntdll.dll file?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I's not a problem with the updates per se - they installed without problems on my PC with Windows XP Home SP3 - but there are other reports of problems with these updates.

Try the following:
    1. Download and save the install files for the updates to a convenient location on your hard disk, i.e. don't run them immediately. They are available from
      Download details: Security Update for Windows XP (KB956572)
      Download details: Security Update for Windows XP (KB959426)
    2. Perform a clean boot of Windows XP. For detailed instructions, see
      How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
    3. Try to run the install files now.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='770998' date='17-Apr-2009 10:44']First of all, is that first number correct? Now, the first think I would try is to reboot and immediately try again with the two patches.

If you still have the problem, have you a good antivirus program installed? Do you run any malware detection or prevention software? If the answer is "no" to either or both questions, you should do something about that.

Read this for a little info on the file you mentioned: What is the ntdll.dll file?[/quote]

I ran Ad-Aware and then the updates installed - obviously I'd picked up something nasty but AVG (free) had failed to detect it.