New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a presentation with linked sound files. However this is even deeper, the same issue happens when I just d-click the sound file on the slide. I get this error:

"The specified file cannot be played on the specified MCI device. The file may be corupt, not in the correct format or no fil" (yes, it cuts off mid-word)(Gotta love MSoft).

Anyhow... I've changed nothing. Last time I used this presentation ( a couple months ago) all the mp3 files played correctly. This is a presentation I've used over and over. I'm thinking MSoft introduced some patch or something for security? In any case, how does one fix this?

I've researched other answers and they are dumb (to me): change the mp3 headers to WAV. I searched this forum and cannot see the issue elsewhere, so please forgive if I've overlooked it.

PowerPoint 2003, Vista with all latest windows updates as of this writing.
    BTW, mp3 files are playing fine in both iTunes and WinMediaPlayer.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Grant

Did you install ITunes fairly recently?

Some programs (maybe Itunes, I don't use it) can change the settings for the MCI player that handles sound in PowerPoint. A possible cure is to reinstall the latest version of Media Player (even if it is already the latest) as this should reset the file associations in the MCI

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "Did you install ITunes fairly recently?"

No, I usually avoid that for months then give in, but no, not recently.

How do you find current version in WinMedia?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='JohnWilson' post='772529' date='27-Apr-2009 11:18']http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...10/default.aspx[/quote]

With Vista, WMP 11 is the correct version. You can't install it separately. You could try Windows Media Player stops responding after you install a third-party product that registers its own version of the Wmp.dll file.

Joe
    Joe