New Lounger
    Thanks
    hi guys, somehow i caused a line to appear at the bottom of some pages, which might be "border" type. one of them had an icon attached which allowed me to delete it, but others did Not have that facility, and would not delete by Cutting from either above nor below. the only thing noticed was hovering on them showed a change of cursor, maybe for moving it - but it didnt. Any ideas please ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

It could be several things. Could you post a copy of the document, with all sensitive information removed?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    can u suggest a couple of possibilities please Hans ?
    ill try them all and learn some new tricks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='WordDabbler' post='771238' date='19-Apr-2009 11:57']can u suggest a couple of possibilities please Hans ?
    ill try them all and learn some new tricks[/quote]

Some of the more obvious things it could be are:
    • A page border
    • A table border
    • A paragraph border
    • A graphic line

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have the Automatic Borders feature in AutoCorrect (Format As You Type) enabled? If so, typing three or more consecutive hyphens and pressing the Enter key creates a horizontal line.

If that is how the line was created, try turning on Show Non-Printing Characters (click the paragraph symbol or press Ctrl Shift *) and then deleting the paragraph symbol above the line. (In certain circumstances, you might need to delete the paragraph symbol below the line.)

If that doesn't work, try right-clicking the line. Do you get a pop-up menu? What are the first couple of commands?

Let us know.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='WordDabbler' post='771238' date='19-Apr-2009 06:57']can u suggest a couple of possibilities please Hans ?
    ill try them all and learn some new tricks[/quote]

The following might provide some insight into what is going on:
    In Word, basically "what you see is what you get." If something is formatted as bold text, it appears as bold text. It is essentially impossible to have stray or unused formatting codes in your text, as you can in WordPerfect. The reason is because there are no such codes.

The closest you can get to the reveal codes is to display the complete formatting information that Word is applying to a character or paragraph. You can do this by following these steps:

1. Press Shift+F1. (You can also choose What's This? from the Help menu.) This causes the mouse pointer to change to an arrow with a question mark beside it.
    2. Point to the character or paragraph in question and click the mouse button.
    When you do this, Word 97 and Word 2000 display a "balloon" that looks like the dialog balloons used in some cartoons. The balloon contains detailed information about the formatting of the character you pointed to, as well as the paragraph in which the character appears.

If you are using Word 2002 and 2003, the Reveal Formatting task pane is displayed at the right side of the screen. This task pane shows all the same information that is in the balloons used in earlier versions of Word, but provides the added feature of allowing you to modify formatting, as desired.

If you are using Word 97 or Word 2000, you have two options at this point. You can either click on a different character to see more formatting information, or you can press Esc to make the balloons go away. If you are using Word 2002 or 2003, the Reveal Formatting task pane remains on the screen until you either display a different task pane or dismiss the task pane all together.

The foregoing came from this website
    Regards
    Don

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does the doc have footnotes? If there are extra, blank paragraphs in the footnote area, it can cause a footnote line to appear on pages with no footnotes.

Deleting the extra, empty paragraphs would clear up this situation.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    hurray ! got rid of the pesky "bottom border line" - which i now know it to be.
    i could drag it down but not up, then got stuck with the lines messed.

thanks to stuart, jan, don, hans, ping.
    the comment about look on the paragraph menus led me to try "no borders",
    but i will print off all your advices for future encounters with mystery lines !

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And thank YOU! I'd never noticed that you could drag a paragraph border line before! (And I couldn't actually make that work consistently, in my testing just now, but it's not a feature I'll probably ever need, either, so oh well