4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an HPLaserjet P1006 using a CB435A cartridge. The stated page yield is 1500. Today's supply status page says I have printed 790 pages and I have 354 left. That is a total of 1144 pages, considerably less than 1500. Why the discrepancy? I understood these page yileds were based on pages having 5% toner coverage, mimicing the average text only page.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='771317' date='20-Apr-2009 05:56']I have an HPLaserjet P1006 using a CB435A cartridge. The stated page yield is 1500. Today's supply status page says I have printed 790 pages and I have 354 left. That is a total of 1144 pages, considerably less than 1500. Why the discrepancy? I understood these page yileds were based on pages having 5% toner coverage, mimicing the average text only page.[/quote]
    These numbers can only ever give an indication. So long as they all use the same basis they will let you compare the relative cost of alternative solutions. The actual amount of ink that you put on each page varies depending on many things, including the fonts you use, text sizes in your documents, line spacing, the settings you choose in the print driver, the size of your margins and many many others.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='771317' date='20-Apr-2009 11:56']I have an HPLaserjet P1006 using a CB435A cartridge. The stated page yield is 1500. Today's supply status page says I have printed 790 pages and I have 354 left. That is a total of 1144 pages, considerably less than 1500. Why the discrepancy? I understood these page yileds were based on pages having 5% toner coverage, mimicing the average text only page.[/quote]

As Stuart suggested there are many variables, and the measurements are approximations. The supply status page itself could be the most interesting business calculation on their part and astute consumer reaction on your part, because they would like you to scurry out and buy more toner whether you need it or not (which might be mutually beneficial if you want to be on the safe side, but excessive if you donít want unused inventory sitting on the shelf and less cash in your pocket), and you are wondering if it is false advertising on their part.

I have a LaserJet 1020 and these printers really do have a remarkable efficiency in their consumption of toner. I donít know about yours (be sure you have the latest driver), but mine has a lot of very smart settings, accessible through Control Panel, including one called EconoMode (Save Toner), which is suitable for printing drafts and everyday work. The output is just a bit lighter than that of a higher-quality setting that you would use for final output, because it uses less toner. Just remember to check the setting when you want publication-quality output.

Here is a trick that I think many do toward the end of a cartridgeís life. Someone familiar with it could do us all a favour by posting it here. If you remove the cartridge and gently shake it, the toner will be redistributed and last longer. I keep the top pointed at the sky and wag it back and forth a few times, then give it some left and right moves to ensure that everything isnít at one end, and it seems to work.

That could be an urban legend or a practical joke. It is plausible, because toner will settle to the bottom and be in a concentrated state, and might actually resist being drawn from the cartridge, but on the other hand, I may be doing the same thing as EconoMode by reducing the concentration. The manufacturers must know Ė but can we believe them?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='771421' date='20-Apr-2009 15:22']Here is a trick that I think many do toward the end of a cartridge's life. Someone familiar with it could do us all a favour by posting it here. If you remove the cartridge and gently shake it, the toner will be redistributed and last longer.[/quote]
    I don't know if it's ever been posted here in The Lounge, but I can verify that the "trick" DOES work. Over the years, ever since I dumped my old Epson MX-80 (**) for laser printers, I've had IBM, Lexmark, Brother and HP laser printers and careful lateral shaking of the toner cartridge has always worked for me. I never tried to guage HOW MUCH longer a cartridge lasted, but when print started to get lighter, the shaking is what I did. Excellent tip!

(**) How's that for telling my "computer era" age!