4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've not seen this before nor can I find anything that's helpful on Google. When we add someone to contacts that has an email address with an underscore in it, Outlook handles that just fine, i.e. my_name@yahoo.com. But a problem came up with one of our users created a distribution list in Outlook and one of the people they added had an email address with an underscore in it. In distribution list the email address looked like this my---_name@yahoo.com. When she sent her email to this list Outlook gives her this error, "The operation failed." Take that person off the list and the list sends fine. The user was added the person with "Add New" so I created a contact and tried to do with "Select Members" from her contacts folder. Same result. Stranger still, when I create a distribution list on my computer with this person included it works fine. We both have Office 2003, the user is Basic version and I have Small Business edition. Anyone else ever see this or know why it's happening?
    Daisy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmm... Google doesn't like searches about this subject.
    [attachment=83399:x.png]
    I'll try again later.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (5.3 KB, 0 views)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    [quote name='ailios' post='771453' date='20-Apr-2009 15:30']Anyone else ever see this or know why it's happening?[/quote]

Do you both have the same service pack level and hotfixes?

Joe
    Joe

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='ailios' post='771453' date='20-Apr-2009 14:30']The user was added the person with "Add New" so I created a contact and tried to do with "Select Members" from her contacts folder. ...when I create a distribution list on my computer with this person included it works fine.[/quote]
    Daisy, try having the person Save As the contact to a text file, then delete and recreate the contact from scratch manually (copying all the fields in from the text file). (I suspect that either the Contact is corrupted (very rare but it happens), or the underscore is another character being displayed as an underscore.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='771462' date='20-Apr-2009 14:15']Do you both have the same service pack level and hotfixes?[/quote]

Yes, we are both using SP 3.
    Daisy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='771477' date='20-Apr-2009 15:57']Daisy, try having the person Save As the contact to a text file, then delete and recreate the contact from scratch manually (copying all the fields in from the text file). (I suspect that either the Contact is corrupted (very rare but it happens), or the underscore is another character being displayed as an underscore.)[/quote]

I honestly didn't think that would work but darn if it did. Except, when I saved the contact as text and opened it in notepad it showed the ---_ instead of just _. So I took out the --- to clean up the email address and then copied it to clipboard. Deleted the contact in her Outlook and recreated it, pasting the email address instead of typing it. That worked. Why, I don't know but it did. To be sure the problem was gone I deleted the contact again and recreated it but this time I typed the email address. That worked properly now too. Must have been something corrupt like you said. Thank you.
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    [quote name='ailios' post='771731' date='22-Apr-2009 08:28']I honestly didn't think that would work but darn if it did. Except, when I saved the contact as text and opened it in notepad it showed the ---_ instead of just _. So I took out the --- to clean up the email address and then copied it to clipboard. Deleted the contact in her Outlook and recreated it, pasting the email address instead of typing it. That worked. Why, I don't know but it did. To be sure the problem was gone I deleted the contact again and recreated it but this time I typed the email address. That worked properly now too. Must have been something corrupt like you said. Thank you.[/quote]

Well, that is good news. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='ailios' post='771731' date='22-Apr-2009 07:28']when I saved the contact as text and opened it in notepad it showed the ---_ instead of just _.[/quote]
    Good to know. I have revised my guess to be that there may have been some low ASCII characters preceding the underscore, and the underscore itself was not the problem. I'd be a bit suspicious of that email address, but if it is a valid business address, let's say the problem is solved.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS