Thread: UltraDefrag 3

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    UltraDefrag3 (open source) has been out for about a month now, and I downloaded it and ran it for the first time last night. As there have been four threads on previous versions with apparently no takers, I can now report my first impressions of the program. My experience hitherto has been with Microsoft's own defrag programs and with third-party commercial products.

Both download and installation were swift and smooth. I installed it on an old computer that has XP Pro and is low on resources, but that I have a specific use for (dealing with hard drives to which I have no other XP access at present). The drive had 19% of free space and I think severe fragmentation, although I wasn't sure how to read it. This was after many hours of installing and removing various programs and updates, so it had to be a mess.

The defrag appears to have been a success and the time taken was reasonable. I like the interface and I love the price. I will continue testing, but for those who have taken an interest in past with none of us having tried the program, I can say that I have it installed on one computer and my first impression is favourable.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    The test is now over. It was an outrageously slow computer to begin with, and not a suitable test bed for anything new and different when I had an available third-party alternative.

I can add a word of advice, however. When pressed for time and in urgent need of efficient and expensive software, a thirty-day trial of a premier product can be a big help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='peterg' post='771470' date='20-Apr-2009 16:29']UltraDefrag3 (open source) has been out for about a month now, and I downloaded it and ran it for the first time last night. As there have been four threads on previous versions with apparently no takers, I can now report my first impressions of the program. My experience hitherto has been with Microsoft's own defrag programs and with third-party commercial products.

Both download and installation were swift and smooth. I installed it on an old computer that has XP Pro and is low on resources, but that I have a specific use for (dealing with hard drives to which I have no other XP access at present). The drive had 19% of free space and I think severe fragmentation, although I wasn't sure how to read it. This was after many hours of installing and removing various programs and updates, so it had to be a mess.

The defrag appears to have been a success and the time taken was reasonable. I like the interface and I love the price. I will continue testing, but for those who have taken an interest in past with none of us having tried the program, I can say that I have it installed on one computer and my first impression is favourable.[/quote]

Typically, there is an issue with these free alternatives. They do not interface/integrate with the Windows placement strategy for the builtin defragmenter. That means that Windows will still go through its analysis and move files to optimize the boot process. There could be a slowdown until Windows is satisfied the files are organized properly.

However, the free alternatives also will ususally work in an environment with less free space available than the Windows deframenter will.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='771470' date='20-Apr-2009 22:29'][/quote]
    I used to use UltraDefrag but found it very slow indeed. Additionally, you could not resize the window.
    There are several others available, of which I have tried Smart Defrag, JKDefrag and, my current favourite, Defraggler.
    (Actually, my opinion is that far too much defragmenting goes on among those who use these products, and a lot more of 'letting sleeping disks lie' would have little effect on the PC.)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='BATcher' post='772009' date='23-Apr-2009 13:50']I used to use UltraDefrag but found it very slow indeed. Additionally, you could not resize the window.
    There are several others available, of which I have tried Smart Defrag, JKDefrag and, my current favourite, Defraggler.
    (Actually, my opinion is that far too much defragmenting goes on among those who use these products, and a lot more of 'letting sleeping disks lie' would have little effect on the PC.)[/quote]

Particularly on newer systems with larger and larger HDs. Unless you have a lot of pictures, music, & videos there is almost no way for a normal user to fill up a modern HD enough that fragmentation would become an issue.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='772009' date='23-Apr-2009 14:50']... and a lot more of 'letting sleeping disks lie' would have little effect on the PC.[/quote]
    I agree, sort of. I happen to use PerfectDisk and I used to defrag, just before backup imaging, every other week. Eventually I decided that was a waste of time, performance wise. Now I'm doing it monthly and may drop that to every other month. It's like most "housekeeping" stuff we talk ourselves into doing (or let others talk us into) the perception from a user standpoint is impossible to measure.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='772032' date='24-Apr-2009 04:35']I agree, sort of. I happen to use PerfectDisk and I used to defrag, just before backup imaging, every other week. Eventually I decided that was a waste of time, performance wise. Now I'm doing it monthly and may drop that to every other month. It's like most "housekeeping" stuff we talk ourselves into doing (or let others talk us into) the perception from a user standpoint is impossible to measure.[/quote]

The drive size and amount of free space are what justify serious defragging. If you have a huge drive with wide open spaces then you scarcely need it, but you take a real performance hit on a small drive, which in my case was less than 8 GB, and the commercial defrag program was far superior to UltraDefrag.