New Lounger
    Thanks
    i was a member years ago and used access 97 in work and home. after Hurricane Katrina, life got very complicated, and i no longer worked or needed access. i did upgrade to office 2003, but did not update access. now i'm trying to use it, and keep getting the message "out of memory" "system erroe". i have LOTS of available memory on my hard drive.

any ideas on what is wrong and what i must do to fix it? (I have a couple of personal databases i cannot access without Access)

thanks for any ideas, Kathleen

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome back to the Lounge!

There's a known problem with Access 97 running on a PC with 1 GB or more of memory (a situation which wasn't foreseen 12 years ago). There's an updated version of the Jet Engine that should solve this problem.

For general info, see "Out of memory" error starting Microsoft Access
    For details, see Updated version of Microsoft Jet 3.5 available for download (the link to Jet35sp3.exe is slightly less than halfway down the web page).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks, i checked out the site. it says i need to verify a version but since i can't open access, i can't verify anything. should i automatically download the first 'patch' and then the jet3.5? cause it says it will mess up my databases if the version is wrong

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can download the Office 97 Version Checker from MS Office 97 Service Release 2b (SR-2b); running this utility should tell you which version is installed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    you are so great, it almost makes me miss needing access for work! (i'm now retired and happy to do crafts instead)