Thanks
    Firefox 3.0.9 has been released. Among other things, the bug described in Post 723139 has been fixed.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='771652' date='21-Apr-2009 20:28']Firefox 3.0.9 has been released.[/quote]
    Thanks Paul. In case anyone hasn't seen the "schmaltzy" new Firefox page if you come in via the front door:

It's Time to Get Personal

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, I've finally switched from version 2 to this latest version. It's tough going! Does anyone know how to get rid of that horrible green mark that appears when visiting certain web pages, for example Mozilla itself. I think it is supposed to reassure me that the site is save. It just irritates me and uses up address bar space.

Thanks, Chris (Hunt)

Thanks
    [quote name='Cah' post='771886' date='22-Apr-2009 19:46']Does anyone know how to get rid of that horrible green mark that appears when visiting certain web pages, for example Mozilla itself. I think it is supposed to reassure me that the site is save.[/quote]
    Do you mean the Extended Validation information for HTTPS sites? I don't know whether you can turn that off. Ref: Site Identity Button @ SuMo.

If that isn't it, maybe a screen shot would help clarify the "horrible" mark.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    For info Firefox 3.0.10 is due out the week commencing April 27th. This is to fix a crash relating to the HTML validator add-on (a regression in Firefox 3.0.9). There may also be a couple of security fixes included.

Mozilla are getting a bit of practise at doing these "firedrill releases"

Thanks
    [quote name='TonyE' post='772070' date='23-Apr-2009 16:00']Mozilla are getting a bit of practise at doing these "firedrill releases"[/quote]
    Since I work close to Mountain View, I hauled my laptop to a Mozilla testing event last night for the next beta of Firefox 3.5. What an eye-opener: the number of predefined tests is bewildering; I imagine they have to add more each time they break something in a realse so they don't break it again in the future.

If anyone is curious about what the "manual" tests (as opposed to automated tests) look like, check out Litmus.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='771895' date='23-Apr-2009 04:50']Do you mean the Extended Validation information for HTTPS sites? I don't know whether you can turn that off. Ref: Site Identity Button @ SuMo.

If that isn't it, maybe a screen shot would help clarify the "horrible" mark.[/quote]
    Thanks, Joe, that's it. After a bit of investigation I discovered how to style it into submission. I don't mind the button but showing the name of the site was too much. Also I discovered that Firefox 3 doesn't change the colour of the address bar for secure sites either. So in case they are useful to anyone else here are my two rules for userChrome.css to get rid of the site name and colour the address bar:

Code:
    /* ------------------------------------------------ */

/* COLOUR URL BAR FOR SECURE SITES  */
    #urlbar[level] .autocomplete-textbox-container { background-color: #D0F2C4 !important; } 

/* REMOVE TEXT FROM SITE IDENTITY BUTTON*/
    #identity-box {font-size: 0pt !important}

/* ------------------------------------------------ */
    Best wishes,

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Cah' post='772104' date='23-Apr-2009 22:21']Thanks, Joe, that's it. After a bit of investigation I discovered how to style it into submission.[/quote]
    Jeez, I'm dying of curiosity and you haven't posted a screenshot. Can you revert your styling and show me what button we're talking about and where is the name of the site that you object to? (Remember, the new Lounge software will thumbnail, so you don't (necessarily) need to worry about size.)

PS It was Jefferson, not Joe.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='772126' date='24-Apr-2009 02:55']Jeez, I'm dying of curiosity and you haven't posted a screenshot.[/quote]
    Al, this is a sample of what Chris is talking about. The first bar is for an ordinary SSL certificate, while the second, third, and fourth are for an "Extended Validation" SSL certificate that purports to provide assurances about the site owner, in addition to assurances that the session is encrypted. Because I have a large display, I don't mind the extra space consumed by the identity information, but apparently Chris objects. While the userChrome.css setting Chris found does shrink the label, the rule I proposed in the last box does a slightly more complete job.

[attachment=83458:Fx3_EvSS...ty_Label.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='772197' date='24-Apr-2009 15:22']Al, this is a sample of what Chris is talking about.[/quote]
    Thanks Jefferson. I don't know why but this is the only thing I've ever seen and other than the hover information, it looks no different than any other site "favicon." OK.

[attachment=83461:2009_04_24_055712.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='772220' date='24-Apr-2009 14:47']I don't know why but this is the only thing I've ever seen and other than the hover information, it looks no different than any other site "favicon."[/quote]
    I only found the one example; the EV-SSL Wikipedia page article shows another. I think it's going to be a long time before EV-SSL certs are in wide use, not least because they are more expensive and require more documentation to obtain.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='772197' date='24-Apr-2009 19:22']...the rule I proposed in the last box does a slightly more complete job.[/quote]

Thanks Jefferson, sorry for getting your name wrong. I'll try your amended rule. I wasn't aware of that syntax. I don't like the way the button changes size. I preferred the old padlock method.

Cheers,

Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='772126' date='24-Apr-2009 09:55']PS It was Jefferson, not Joe.[/quote]

Thanks, Big Al. Sorry, for not posting a screenshot, I thought the verbal description identified the button clearly. I'm not really used to the way the new lounge works, yet. I especially miss the post content not turning up with notification email.

Cheers,

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The current mail setup is not ideal (we hope to improve it in the not-too-distant future), but you can specify "Include a copy of the post when emailing me from a subscribed topic" in Controls > Email Settings.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='772239' date='25-Apr-2009 01:01']The current mail setup is not ideal (we hope to improve it in the not-too-distant future), but you can specify "Include a copy of the post when emailing me from a subscribed topic" in Controls > Email Settings.[/quote]

Thanks Hans, I'd missed that setting. I've selected it and will await to see what happens.

Best wishes,

Chris