Thanks
    Is there a way, besides backing up the PST file, AND besides exporting, to back up the Junk email files?

I want to add that to a regulsr backup procedure without having to backup the entire PST file.

Is there a way?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='771663' date='21-Apr-2009 20:42']Is there a way, besides backing up the PST file, AND besides exporting, to back up the Junk email files?

I want to add that to a regulsr backup procedure without having to backup the entire PST file.[/quote]

If you search the internet you may be able to find a program to backup just a folder.

You could create a rule to move the junk mail to its own PST file and then use the Download details: Outlook 2007/2003/2002 Add-in: Personal Folders Backup to backup the PST file.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='771668' date='21-Apr-2009 19:50']If you search the internet you may be able to find a program to backup just a folder.

You could create a rule to move the junk mail to its own PST file and then use the Download details: Outlook 2007/2003/2002 Add-in: Personal Folders Backup to backup the PST file.

Joe[/quote]

Thanks Joe, I cold export all those "junk files, Buit there's no way Joe, to just back up the "rules" for what is or is not junk?
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='771672' date='21-Apr-2009 21:07']But there's no way Joe, to just back up the "rules" for what is or is not junk?[/quote]
    Did you want to back up the Junk items Folder, or the Junk Item management whitelists and blacklists? In Outlook 2003, there are Import and Export options for your lists of safe senders, safe recipients, and blocked senders, but I don't know of a native way to automatically back them up, and the Junk filter system is not exposed to Outlook VBA for security reasons. Check to see if Slipstick has some tools listed.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='771804' date='22-Apr-2009 12:01']Did you want to back up the Junk items Folder, or the Junk Item management whitelists and blacklists? In Outlook 2003, there are Import and Export options for your lists of safe senders, safe recipients, and blocked senders, but I don't know of a native way to automatically back them up, and the Junk filter system is not exposed to Outlook VBA for security reasons. Check to see if Slipstick has some tools listed.[/quote]

John, yes, it's the whitelists and blacklists I was after. I process a good deal of email each day, so my lists change as well. I was thinking it would be great to build the lists backup right into my daily process, thereby not having to go through those extra steps and yet still keep the lists current.

Oh well, thanks though.

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='771672' date='21-Apr-2009 22:07']Thanks Joe, I cold export all those "junk files, Buit there's no way Joe, to just back up the "rules" for what is or is not junk?[/quote]

Two things:

1.) I was incorrect about creating a rule to act on junk mail. With Office 2003 Sp-1 rules were changed such that they will NOT act on messages moved to the Junk Email folder.
    2.) What do you mean by "rules"? Actual rules you created? The various junk email filter list? Both? Something else?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='771812' date='22-Apr-2009 12:13']Two things:

1.) I was incorrect about creating a rule to act on junk mail. With Office 2003 Sp-1 rules were changed such that they will NOT act on messages moved to the Junk Email folder.
    2.) What do you mean by "rules"? Actual rules you created? The various junk email filter list? Both? Something else?

Joe[/quote]

Joe, it's primarily the filter lists. It would be great to include the rules, but they changed that (from 2000) so that th rules are embedded in the pst, aren't they?

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='771818' date='22-Apr-2009 14:27']Joe, it's primarily the filter lists. It would be great to include the rules, but they changed that (from 2000) so that th rules are embedded in the pst, aren't they?[/quote]

Once again what do you mean by rules?

If you mean the Safe and Blocked senders list they are stored as a hidden message in the message store (PST file in your case). See Outlook 2007 File Locations for more information.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='771833' date='22-Apr-2009 13:01']Once again what do you mean by rules?

If you mean the Safe and Blocked senders list they are stored as a hidden message in the message store (PST file in your case). See Outlook 2007 File Locations for more information.

Joe[/quote]

Joe, it seems that the only way to back up the Safe and Blocked senders is through exporting, because there doesn't seem to be any more direct approach.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='771847' date='22-Apr-2009 15:24']Joe, it seems that the only way to back up the Safe and Blocked senders is through exporting, because there doesn't seem to be any more direct approach.[/quote]

You can always just backup the PST.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='771850' date='22-Apr-2009 13:33']You can always just backup the PST.

Joe[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I'll need to do. I was kinda hoping to cut down the size/time, but it's better to be safe...

Thanks,
    Chuck