Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Peraphs my qst is stupid;-)
    Admit i have 5 pc client on same lan and all pc have a mdb in c:\app\mymdb.mdb
    Now... is possible to link all mdb from all pc to other one in a lan dir similar \\mylan\mydir\mymdb_master.mdb...
    and if one of rset on a pc client is updated, delete, ecc... update the same reset on lan dir mdb?

Note:
    the mdb structure is exaclyy the same for mdb in pc and lan.

Sorry for my english but one of this lounge understand sure my qst;-)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You should use a split database design, with a backend on the network containing the tables, and frontends on the individual PCs containing links to the tables in the backend, plus all queries, forms and reports.

See for example WendellB's tutorial Why Split a Database?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='771693' date='22-Apr-2009 09:04']You should use a split database design, with a backend on the network containing the tables, and frontends on the individual PCs containing links to the tables in the backend, plus all queries, forms and reports.

See for example WendellB's tutorial Why Split a Database?[/quote]

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But the time to update the server mdb increase or decrease in terms of the time to update the pc mdb or not?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    A split database is slightly slower than an unsplit one, but it works very well as long as the number of simultaneous users is not too high.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='sal21' post='771694' date='22-Apr-2009 01:15']NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But the time to update the server mdb increase or decrease in terms of the time to update the pc mdb or not?[/quote]
    As Hans indicated, it may be slightly slower, but in my experience it is almost never detectable by the end user. And if you have more than a few (2 or 3) users, the only practical way to manage a production database is to split it. And putting the front-end on the local workstation typcially makes it appear quicker to the user because forms and reports don't have to be pulled accross the network - with a Gbit LAN it wouldn't make much difference.
    Wendell

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='WendellB' post='771849' date='22-Apr-2009 22:29']As Hans indicated, it may be slightly slower, but in my experience it is almost never detectable by the end user. And if you have more than a few (2 or 3) users, the only practical way to manage a production database is to split it. And putting the front-end on the local workstation typcially makes it appear quicker to the user because forms and reports don't have to be pulled accross the network - with a Gbit LAN it wouldn't make much difference.[/quote]

ok...
    but if i want see the content of table on all PC Client?
    In effect i want to create an interface from my pc to see all other rset of user mdb...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can use File | Get External Data | Link Tables... to link tables in another database. You can do this for each database, if you have permission to see it and open it from your PC.