Thread: Always on redux

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello--

when I donít need to access the web, get email, etc., I always exit my browser to safeguard my security. BUT, if my PC is still ON, am I just as vulnerable to viruses,etc.? My thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You're vulnerable as long as your internet connection is active, but your firewall should protect your PC against intrusion from outside.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='771746' date='22-Apr-2009 10:46']I always exit my browser to safeguard my security. BUT, if my PC is still ON, am I just as vulnerable to viruses,etc.?[/quote]
    In my humble opinion the risk of a serious HACKER getting in to your computer is so low as to be negligible. That's even more so if you have a good router or modem/router and it has some inbuilt protection. It seems to me that all or most troubles come from something WE do ourselves that lets a bad guy in. Once he's in, there's no end to the trouble we can have, but YOU can (and I'm sure are!) take care of that with a good AV and spyware "procedures" in place. You didn't mention it, but also make sure your email program is not set to automatically DOWNLOAD emails without your knowledge.

Anyone else?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to you both