2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We have an internet wifi radio, but have difficulty maintaining the connection with our network when the device is not in the same room as the wireless router. The radio appears to need a much higher signal than laptop computers or an Iphone which work perfectly well in the locations where the radio fails. Can we buy a router with a higher output signal than our current one which is a ZyXEL-6507klo? Or is there another solution?
    Thanks again

Thanks
    [quote name='epzcaw' post='771766' date='22-Apr-2009 12:22']We have an internet wifi radio, but have difficulty maintaining the connection with our network when the device is not in the same room as the wireless router. The radio appears to need a much higher signal than laptop computers or an Iphone which work perfectly well in the locations where the radio fails. Can we buy a router with a higher output signal than our current one which is a ZyXEL-6507klo? Or is there another solution?
    Thanks again[/quote]
    Have a look here for information on signal boosters. I have no idea if your router manufacturer has one available.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thaks for this - a quick look at the ZyXEL web-site does not show any signal boosters. Also, I have read somewhere else that these do not work with all devices so perhaps need to contact the manufacturer of the radio (Roberts).

I would be willing to buy a new router if I was sure it would give more signal but this information does not appear readily available

Thanks
    [quote name='epzcaw' post='771771' date='22-Apr-2009 17:38']I would be willing to buy a new router if I was sure it would give more signal but this information does not appear readily available[/quote]
    At least one of the Roberts' sets allows an ethernet connection. If yours has one, and if you are willing to spend 40+, you can get rid of the interconnecting ethernet cable and use the mains wiring instead via two homeplugs (expand the diagrams at the top).
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This sounds like a perfect solution. My radio has an ethernet connection so I will get this. Will keep you informed of progress

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I bought 2 Solwise Pl-85PE Homeplugs, but have been unable to get a working connection to my internet radio.

I have connected one plug to my broadband router via the ethernet cable and plugged it directly into a wall socket ( I read somewhere that they will not work if connected to an extension board). The second plug is also plugged directly into a wall socket and connected to the radio via an ethernet cable. It searches for the network for some time, and then gives a message 'Network error - invalid DNS server'.

It is working reasonably reliably with the wireless connection, which is to the same router.

I have no clue as to what is wrong but now suspect it may be a problem with the router. I have connected the radio directly to the router via an ethernet cabel and get the same fault. I have no idea what to do next.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Thanks
    [quote name='epzcaw' post='772665' date='28-Apr-2009 14:13'][/quote]
    From what you say it would appear that your wireless router may not have been set up properly. Can you log on to it via a wired connection, and go into administration mode? Does it give out IP addresses using DHCP? Lots more questions can follow...

How is the Roberts radio set up? I presume that you are just supposed to plug a patch cable into it, and it should work!

Remember that the homeplugs are just acting as a substitute for the piece of ethernet cable (loosely speaking), so there is no reason to suspect them in this matter.
    BATcher

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been punished for playing about with things I don't properly understand - in the process of trying to get a wired connection, my wireless network stopped me accessing it. I don't have the original set up CD, so can't find a way of re-setting it. I am now using an old router which causes one of our PCs to lose internet connection at frequent intervals.

I re-set the router, and it no longer allowed any of the PCs to access it - it doesn't seem to accept the network key. I can't get an ethernet connection either.

I'm sure you are right that the network was not set up properly.

I think I may have to buy a new router....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='epzcaw' post='772708' date='28-Apr-2009 11:12']I have been punished for playing about with things I don't properly understand - in the process of trying to get a wired connection, my wireless network stopped me accessing it. I don't have the original set up CD, so can't find a way of re-setting it. I am now using an old router which causes one of our PCs to lose internet connection at frequent intervals.

I re-set the router, and it no longer allowed any of the PCs to access it - it doesn't seem to accept the network key. I can't get an ethernet connection either.

I'm sure you are right that the network was not set up properly.

I think I may have to buy a new router....[/quote]

On the back of the router there usually is a button or slot (use a paper clip) to reset the router to factory defaults.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='epzcaw' post='772708' date='28-Apr-2009 17:12']I think I may have to buy a new router....[/quote]
    What is the make and model of the router? It may be possible for someone to give configuration advice...
    BATcher

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the offers but Ive now bought a new one. It is working on all but one of my computers - this is the one which kept losing the internet connection on the old old router. I think it may be the wireless adaptor. I have set it up ona wired connection for now.

Pressing the reset on the back of the old one was what triggered its demise!

It is a Bad Computer day. Another PC has seized up - it is Vista, and I strongly suspect it may be a Vista upgrade problem. I think the System restore may have worked but I am doing a data backup before I check.

Its great to have all your help out there anyway. Thanks again