Thread: File New Dialog

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We are not interested in the collection of Word templates that are installed by default. Under c:\program files\microsoft office\templates\1033, there is a Fax sub-folder, and a number of .dotx files, some of which have names beginning with Equity, Median and Oriel.

I deleted the Fax folder and all of the templates. When I click on the Office button, New, My Templates, I no longer see the templates. That's what I want.

However, I also have a macro that displays the FileNew dialog:

Application.Dialogs(wdDialogsFileNew).Show

When the FileNew dialog is called using VBA, all of the tabs and (now deleted) templates appear. If I display details, the templates are all 0 bites, and the modified date is "Never." It's clear that the files are not really there, but the phantom list appears as if they were.

Is there any way to avoid this? I assuse it's a big... I tried similar steps with Word 2003, and I don't see any non-existent files.

Thanks
    In Word 2003, you would re-run the Office installer and deselect the templates in order to uninstall them.
    You can remove installed templates by starting the Office 2003 installation program and then by setting the template group to Installed on First Use. This effectively removes the templates from the computer, and they again become advertised templates.
    Source: How to manage the Office 2003 templates in Office 2003 programs.

Does that work in Word 2007?

Edit: Actually, if you are seeing phantom templates, perhaps you are seeing "advertised templates." That appears to be by design, but if you search for past threads, there might be a solution.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Office 2007 does not have the option to not install templates and wizards as was the case with previous versions.

There are several categories of templates in 07, "My Templates", "Installed Templates" and the large collection of templates that can be accessed from the MS web site. I'm talking specifically about "My Templates", the .dotx files stored under Microsoft Office\Templates\1033. If deleted, those files do not appear when accessed via Office Button>New>My Templates. They DO appear (as phantoms) when VBA code (Applications.Dialgos(wdDialogFileNew).Show is used.

In 2003, I can delete those templates after the installation, and they are not see when accessed interactively or programmatically.