2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I try to open my user, I get a message saying 'An unathorized change was made to Windows - Windows has discovered a chcange that will result in limited functionality - use the link below to find out how to fix windows' When I do this, my Firefox browser opens, and I get to a Microsoft website which doesn't actually help at all. When I close the browser, I am logged off.

I can open Windows in Safe mode but have no idea what I can do to change things.

I use AVG anti-virus, but suspect that something has got me in spite of this.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='epzcaw' post='771899' date='23-Apr-2009 00:14']When I try to open my user, I get a message saying 'An unathorized change was made to Windows - Windows has discovered a chcange that will result in limited functionality - use the link below to find out how to fix windows' When I do this, my Firefox browser opens, and I get to a Microsoft website which doesn't actually help at all. When I close the browser, I am logged off.

I can open Windows in Safe mode but have no idea what I can do to change things.

I use AVG anti-virus, but suspect that something has got me in spite of this.

Any ideas?

Many thanks[/quote]

See Windows has discovered a change that will result in limited windows functionality.

Is Vista an OEM copy, a vlume license copy, a retail copy?

Do you have SP-1 installed?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I solved the problem by using the 'Factory Reset' option provided by Dell. This set the system back to how it was when I got it, quickly and without any hassle. I had backed up all my data a few days ago, so just had the inconvenience or re-installing software, and uninstalling annoying features that were pre-installed that I didn't want.

A bit of a pain, but not catastrophic.

I have automatic updates set, so I assume I had all Vista updates. Vista was pre-installed on the laptop which I bought from Dell.

System Restore didn't work - it didn't complete properly, as with the person in the link you pointed me too.

I don't know why this happened - was it a malicious external source, or was it a failure of Vista?

I will just have to make sure I keep my backups up to date.

Thanks for help

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='epzcaw' post='772000' date='23-Apr-2009 12:59']I solved the problem by using the 'Factory Reset' option provided by Dell. This set the system back to how it was when I got it, quickly and without any hassle. I had backed up all my data a few days ago, so just had the inconvenience or re-installing software, and uninstalling annoying features that were pre-installed that I didn't want.

A bit of a pain, but not catastrophic.

I have automatic updates set, so I assume I had all Vista updates. Vista was pre-installed on the laptop which I bought from Dell.

System Restore didn't work - it didn't complete properly, as with the person in the link you pointed me too.

I don't know why this happened - was it a malicious external source, or was it a failure of Vista?

I will just have to make sure I keep my backups up to date.

Thanks for help[/quote]

You're welcome. Thanks for posting back.

It is always a good idea with System Restore to disable your antivirus software and often a good idea to attempt the restore from safe mode.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='epzcaw' post='772000' date='23-Apr-2009 19:59']System Restore didn't work - it didn't complete properly, as with the person in the link you pointed me too.[/quote]
    Antivirus programs often prevent System Restore from completing - they protect their own files against being overwritten to prevent malware from tampering with them. It may help to disable the realtime protection component of your antivirus program temporarily when performing a system restore.

But anyway, your problem has been solved!