khinchey

Word Forms: Protecting/Unprotecting them (97/2000)

Hi all,

I've created a bunch of Word Forms for people to be able to fill out "interactively". They are all "PROTECTED" BUT, if anyone UNPROTECTS them, makes changes such as adding more tables, etc.. - then "Re-Protects" them - any/all data that has been entered is LOST.

Is there any way around this? Because that stinks!!

TIA for any/all help!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word Forms: Protecting/Unprotecting them (97/2000)

Did you use VBA at all when creating these forms? Or would you be happy to, if not? Because there is a way to fix this in VBA ...
    Beryl M

khinchey

Thanks for the reply - I know NOTHING about VBA.

I just saw on a WORD FAQ page, a macro for doing this, but I don't think I'd even know how to apply it. Here's what the macro is, and if you wouldn't mind telling me how to apply it - I'd greatly appreciate it!

Word 8 (97) / 9 (2000)

Sub ToggleFormProtect()
    If ActiveDocument.ProtectionType = wdNoProtection Then
    ActiveDocument.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True
    MsgBox "The document has been protected"
    Else
    ActiveDocument.Unprotect
    MsgBox "The document is now unprotected"
    End If
    End Sub

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that would do it - the key phrase is 'NoReset = True' which does exactly what it says - prevents the form from being reset (blanked) if the document is protected again.

OK - to apply it:
    - hit Tools, Macro, Record New Macro
    - give it the name on your FAQ macro, ToggleFormProtect and hit OK
    - do something, don't matter what, eg type 'help', and click the 'Stop Record' button on the small toolbar on the screen - the blue square (hover the mouse over the button to check which is Stop Record, the tooltip will show you)

- hit Tools, Macro, Macros, find and select ToggleFormProtect then click 'Edit' (takes you to the VBA window)
    - delete everything between but not including the 'Sub ToggleFormProtect' line and the 'End Sub' line
    - Copy the content from your FAQ example (again, everything between the 'Sub...' and 'End Sub' lines) and paste it between those lines on your macro

- hit File, Save and close the VBA window to go back to Word.

Now, when you unprotect these forms and protect them again, they are not reset. Note, however, that you have to repeat this procedure on any machine that is going to use the forms ...

HTH
    Beryl M

khinchey

You're a whiz!!

Is there a way I can copy that macro and send it as an e-mail attachment to others that want to use it - so they won't have to create it?

Thanks!!!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Ye-e-e-s ... you can copy the text (sub to end sub) into an email and give them the same instructions I gave you; or, if you know for certain they haven't created any macros, customised their toolbars, etc (or if they don't mind losing any they have) you can attach a copy of your normal.dot to an email and tell them to replace theirs with it (if you don't know how, more detail available if you tell me which version of Windows you're using). There are a few other way but we're getting into pretty heavy technical stuff there ...

Unfortunately it's not an entity in itself that can be sent around any more than a paragraph can be sent without the document it's in.
    Beryl M

sallyolin

I've been designing a 2-column form with tables in it (the form from hell...) and would like to use this macro, but it is IMPERATIVE that I be able to password protect the template to keep !$!@#^% fingers out of the pie. Can this be added to the macro?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is it the forms protection that you want passworded, or the template itself? Or, for that matter, are you wanting to keep people from viewing/editing the macro? You can do any one of the three, or all of them, for various reasons.
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

sallyolin

Oh, definitely all three. Nothing worse than spending days getting the furshlugginger thing working just to have some user complain that it isn't & discover that it isn't because some enlightened soul has mucked with it (this happened today).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You can enter a password for forms protection when you implement the protection. To password the template itself, go to Tools, Options, click the Save tab and enter a password under File Sharing Options, in the Modify blank. To keep people from viewing/editing the macro? You can do any one of the three, or all of them, for various reasons. To lock macros in a template, go to the Visual Basic editor, go to Tools, Normal Properties, click the Protection tab, and check the Lock Project for Viewing check box.

You will, of course, need to save your template once this is done. This should protect your template from honest users (and most dishonest ones). In reality, only the password to modify the template is necessary, since even if they could make changes to the template after that, without the password, they couldn't change them. Or, as in our company, place form templates on a network folder to which all users have read-only access, except for those with the need to update.
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Are these people all on the same LAN?

You can put this macro into a template in the user's startup path- and it will be available to that user.

If that path is on the LAN, you only have to copy/update the template into one single directory.

Or you can get your LAN administrator to copy it down to the appropriate path.

Having that startup path on the LAN though makes administration so much easier. It is a registry setting, so a LAN adminsitrator can also twek that too.

If this does not apply, just ignore!
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

And be careful as well. If the document is left unprotected, and printed (with "Tools, Option, Print tab, Update fields checked on), the fields are also lost.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Kevin:

I see you've gotten a solution. Another way that will work for text form fields (not drop down or checkboxes) is to select & lock the fields (Ctrl+F11). You can do this after you create the form, or you can do this to a form template. Then you can protect & unprotect to your hearts content.

khinchey

Seemed to work like a charm - thanks Phil!