5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For some reason, rather than having one Outlook.pst file and one Archive.pst file in Outlook, I have several of each. So I am cleaning up by consolidating the contents of all of these disparate folders to end up with just one Outlook.pst file and one Archive.pst file.

However, because I have so many items in the Archive folder, I am considering splitting it up into two files: “Archive 1.pst” with all items older than 2008 and Archive 2.pst with all items from 2008 and thereafter. However, I am concerned that when Outlook archives my emails and calendar items, it may accidentally archive my items to Archive 1.pst. How can I know for sure where they will go before running the archive?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Look at Tools | Options..., Other tab, AutoArchive.
    The file specified there is the "general" archive .pst file.
    As you know, you can specify different settings for each folder, so you may want to check the AutoArchive tab in the Properties dialog for your Outlook folders.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have successfully moved everything out of my third archive file into my second one and deleted the third one. I now have two.

Do you recommend having two archive files or is it better to just have them all archived in one file? I imagine two is better than one so that if one gets corrupted you still have another one to go, no? Also, two is better becuase when searching for an email or calendar item, the file will be smaller and more manageable if the archived items are split into two files.

Regards,

JMT
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can experiment by closing Outlook and renaming or moving a .pst file. When you start Outlook again you'll find out which folders file it complains about. Repeat for the others.

Outlook isn't very good at compacting .pst files. Over time, a lot of junk accumulates in the dark corners. You can get rid of this by creating a new .pst file and moving the items you want to keep into it, then discarding the old one.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oops, I just realized that I changed my prior question after you already answered it.

Let me repeat the question I made above: do you recommend having one or two archive files?

Also, I tried renaming the duplicate file, but Outlook still doesn't let me close it or delete it, even when I close and reopen Outlook. It contains all of the same contents as the first Personal Folders in the image I attached earlier.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    There is no objection against having multiple .pst files, for archiving or other purposes.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='772090' date='23-Apr-2009 17:17']You can experiment by closing Outlook and renaming or moving a .pst file. When you start Outlook again you'll find out which folders file it complains about. Repeat for the others.

Outlook isn't very good at compacting .pst files. Over time, a lot of junk accumulates in the dark corners. You can get rid of this by creating a new .pst file and moving the items you want to keep into it, then discarding the old one.[/quote]

Hans, may I follow up on your advice, please? I have several .pst files I've accumulated over the years and installs of Windows/Outlook; they contain e-mails and journal entries. I'd like to go through each .pst file, pull out what I want to keep, and then discard. Is it as simple a matter as dragging and dropping the selected e-mails and journal items from the old .pst file into a new one?

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Auggie' post='774041' date='07-May-2009 00:25']Hans, may I follow up on your advice, please? I have several .pst files I've accumulated over the years and installs of Windows/Outlook; they contain e-mails and journal entries. I'd like to go through each .pst file, pull out what I want to keep, and then discard. Is it as simple a matter as dragging and dropping the selected e-mails and journal items from the old .pst file into a new one?[/quote]

Just open the file containing the entries you wish to keep. And then it should be as simple as you described. Once you are finished close the file. Shut down Outlook. You can then move, backup, or delete the .pst files you no longer wish to keep.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='774094' date='07-May-2009 06:20']Just open the file containing the entries you wish to keep. And then it should be as simple as you described. Once you are finished close the file. Shut down Outlook. You can then move, backup, or delete the .pst files you no longer wish to keep.

Joe[/quote]
    Thanks, Joe.