5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know Vista has had its critics, and one area is this User Access Control business. I am getting a new PC (involuntarily) which will come with (as recommended by someone in this forum) Home Priemium. I would like some advice about what annoyances, such as UAC, I can expect and how I might avoid or deselect them. This unit will be used by one person, wiht little access to it by others. IOW, I want something simple.
    Secondarily, I hated the way ZA slowed my old unit down. Is there any thinner package, less intrusive, that will do the job? It's been years since I've had to ask, so any advice would be welcome.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Torquemada' post='772101' date='23-Apr-2009 20:41']I know Vista has had its critics, and one area is this User Access Control business. I am getting a new PC (involuntarily) which will come with (as recommended by someone in this forum) Home Priemium. I would like some advice about what annoyances, such as UAC, I can expect and how I might avoid or deselect them. This unit will be used by one person, wiht little access to it by others. IOW, I want something simple.
    Secondarily, I hated the way ZA slowed my old unit down. Is there any thinner package, less intrusive, that will do the job? It's been years since I've had to ask, so any advice would be welcome.[/quote]

I'd recommend you try Vista for a week or two before thinking about changing UAC. Once you are finished installing your application programs UAC should settle down. NOTE: be sure to execute the installers with the context menu "run as administrator". Older programs which are not architected to Vista standards may not install correctly otherwise.

Once you feel you are ready to do some tweaking see WinBubble 1.76, "Customization and Tweaks, Not Just for Geek's But For ALL" - UnlockForUs and/or Tweak UI For Windows Vista : Ultimate Windows Tweaker From WinVistaClub. Both are free and easy to use.

As far as security software goes, what do you want? A security suite or individual programs? With Vista at home I use the Windows firewall and FREE antivirus software with spyware protection: avast! Home Edition.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='772106' date='24-Apr-2009 04:12']I'd recommend you try Vista for a week or two before thinking about changing UAC. Once you are finished installing your application programs UAC should settle down. NOTE: be sure to execute the installers with the context menu "run as administrator". Older programs which are not architected to Vista standards may not install correctly otherwise.

Once you feel you are ready to do some tweaking see WinBubble 1.76, "Customization and Tweaks, Not Just for Geek's But For ALL" - UnlockForUs and/or Tweak UI For Windows Vista : Ultimate Windows Tweaker From WinVistaClub. Both are free and easy to use.

As far as security software goes, what do you want? A security suite or individual programs? With Vista at home I use the Windows firewall and FREE antivirus software with spyware protection: avast! Home Edition.

Joe[/quote]
    I concer with Joe.
    I use malwarebytea as well as avast home and windows firewall.
    You should also go out and buy "Windows Vista Timesaving Techiques for dummies" by Mr Woody Leonard.

The main thing though is play with vista dig into it get to know it, you wont be dissapointed.
    Also make sure your new computer has enough grunt to run it . You need at least 4gig of ram and a 2.4 GHz CPU duel core.

Gus..

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My main interest is in firewall, since I use AVG Antivirus. I am on FIOS high speed internet, if that matters. Don't want to bog down in performance.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Torquemada' post='772136' date='24-Apr-2009 07:24']My main interest is in firewall, since I use AVG Antivirus. I am on FIOS high speed internet, if that matters. Don't want to bog down in performance.[/quote]
    I concur with Joe re: using Windows Firewall. It is more than adequate for most people, especially if you are behind a router. However, your choice of an AV is questionable at best. AVG is well known to be inadequate in its detection of viruses, trojans, rootkits, etc. I can't think of one single instance where I've had to repair a client's PC that had AVG installed and properly updated that I haven't found infections. I'm referring to dozens and dozens of people, not just one or two. It simply doesn't do the job. If you are "cheap", then go with the free versions Avira Antivir or Avast. Otherwise, do the better thing and buy either Kaspersky AV or Eset NOD32 (no need for the suites, IMHO). Both have proven track records, the former being the better of the two for several important reasons. Legitimate deals can be found online for both with a little searching or asking.

Re: Your concern over UAC. Most people don't find it bothersome since again as Joe accurately stated, after your applications are installed you will rarely see it again. There's so my hype online which is anti-Vista(Microsoft) that it's an uphill battle to get people to see through it and actually try and enjoy what is an extremely reliable and enjoyable operating system. And, for the record, thus far, after using Windows 7 for a little while, I think Vista is better.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, appreciate the comments. Will research the above references and post further questions. I think my new rule is: the older I get, the simpler I want things. Like breathing. I'll be back.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='772106' date='23-Apr-2009 23:12']I'd recommend you try Vista for a week or two before thinking about changing UAC. Once you are finished installing your application programs UAC should settle down. NOTE: be sure to execute the installers with the context menu "run as administrator". Older programs which are not architected to Vista standards may not install correctly otherwise.

Joe[/quote]

I thought Windows firewall was a one-way firewall that did not protect against either the inbound or outbound direction of threats. I am using FIOS high speed interenet, so I have a router between the pc and the net. Let me know why you think Windows firewall is sufficient. If it is, great! But that isn't the impression I have. TYIA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Torquemada' post='772268' date='25-Apr-2009 08:42']I thought Windows firewall was a one-way firewall that did not protect against either the inbound or outbound direction of threats. I am using FIOS high speed interenet, so I have a router between the pc and the net. Let me know why you think Windows firewall is sufficient. If it is, great! But that isn't the impression I have. TYIA[/quote]

The Windows Firewall by default is a one-way firewall. It does protect inbound access. If you care to configure it the Windows Firewall can also protect outbound access. I am very careful about where I go on the Internet, what I download, and what I install. I've got up-to-date antivirus software. I've never had an infection on any of my home systems in 20+ years of being online at home. I've got a router that has a firewall in it. I just don't see the need for a third party software firewall on this PC.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Torquemada' post='772268' date='25-Apr-2009 09:42']I thought Windows firewall was a one-way firewall ...[/quote]
    I waited to let Jeff or Joe reply to your question first. But, although I share Joe's good fortune of being very careful what I do and having little or no problems over the years, I still prefer a 3rd party firewall because of the outbound checking. I found the Windows version VERY difficult to deal with on outbound, so I gave up.

I currently use the free Firewall from Comodo (I already have Avast for AV protection) on both my XP and Vista setups.

My reasoning is simple: No matter how careful and conservative I am, it IS always possible that I intentionally download a program that contains something malicious or "spyful" and I want to be made aware when that program is accessing the internet. I try to stay informed on which programs do periodic updating so can "help" my firewall monitor legit outbound traffic. But, and it's a big but, Jeff and Joe are correct in their reasoning because I've never had anything sneak in (so far)!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='772340' date='26-Apr-2009 06:21']My reasoning is simple: No matter how careful and conservative I am, it IS always possible that I intentionally download a program that contains something malicious or "spyful" and I want to be made aware when that program is accessing the internet.[/quote]
    Your reasoning, IMHO is both true and false. Yes, it is always possible to download a malicious something regardless how careful you are... it can happen. However, I have to say "No!" to the need for a 3rd-party firewall as a means to prevent the problem(s) that can result from such malicious things. Firewalls are NOT designed for this purpose. Antivirus and Antimalware applications are what is needed to prevent and/or eradicate malicious software infections, viruses, trojans, backdoors, etc. This being incontrovertibly true, having a GOOD antivirus and antispyware/antimalware program installed, running and updated is essential such as those I have previously mentioned (KAV, NOD32 - Malwarebyte's Anti-malware, Spybot Search & Destroy).

Firewalls guard against unwanted inbound access to your PC and unwanted outbound access to the Internet from your PC, e.g., "call home", etc.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='772348' date='26-Apr-2009 08:07']Firewalls guard against ...<snip>... unwanted outbound access to the Internet[/quote]
    You somewhat misunderstood me, Jeff. I know a firewall doesn't look after malware or viruses - and that wasn't what I meant. I WANT TO KNOW about ALL programs that "phone home" so I can authorize it and/or investigate as needed.

PS I, like you, DO have good AV and malware programs installed (Avast, Malwarebytes, etc.)