3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is my first post using the new Lounge interface, so here goes.

I've been working on a template that is getting complex. First there is a macro to fill in some information in the header. This works great.

Next, the body of the template has tables. Each table represents the information about a photo and the photo itself. I used AutoNum to put a number for each photo. There is also a Dropdown field for the direction in which the photo was taken (North, South, East, etc.). The body of the template is protected so the Dropdown will work. In theory this works great.

Now the issues:

First, we need to copy the table for each photo, with the AutoNum and Dropdown fields. It appears that the Dropdown field value appears in each copy of the table where the photos will be inserted. Can you copy and paste Dropdown fields? Is there a trick to get each copy independant but still use the same dropdown list?

Also, is there a way to protect just the Dropdown fields without protecting the rest of the table?

Another issue that came up is that because there will be many photos, we would like to have multiple documents. That means that the starting AutoNum must be changed for the other photo documents. How do you set the starting value for the AutoNum?

I hope someone can help. TIA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    > Can you copy and paste Dropdown fields?

You should be able to select a different item in each dropdown list.

> Also, is there a way to protect just the Dropdown fields without protecting the rest of the table?

No, that is not possible.

> How do you set the starting value for the AutoNum?

You can't set the start value for AutoNum. I'd use Seq instead - it lets you specify a start value. See Field codes: Seq (Sequence) field.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Hans. You sure are busy today.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='bjg1' post='772161' date='25-Apr-2009 01:10']First, we need to copy the table for each photo, with the AutoNum and Dropdown fields. It appears that the Dropdown field value appears in each copy of the table where the photos will be inserted. Can you copy and paste Dropdown fields? Is there a trick to get each copy independant but still use the same dropdown list?

Also, is there a way to protect just the Dropdown fields without protecting the rest of the table?

Another issue that came up is that because there will be many photos, we would like to have multiple documents. That means that the starting AutoNum must be changed for the other photo documents. How do you set the starting value for the AutoNum?[/quote]
    I might just add my input here to correct a point that Hans made.
    It is possible to change the AutoNum start value either in the bullets and numbering dialog or in Word 2007 by right clicking the first numbered paragraph and choosing "Set Numbering Value...". Note that if you do this and then subsequently reimport the styles (assuming the numbering is set in the styles) then the numbering might reset.

Each copy of the dropdown field contains its own separate list and they will remain independent of each other. If you subsequently decide to change the list then you will need to modify each dropdown. An alternative may be to add a toolbar item which places the relevant list item into the current cursor position. This would allow you to leave the document unprotected but still have an interface which allows the user to choose from a list to add content.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the correction. I didn't know that was possible in Word 2007; it isn't in my Word 2002.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='772176' date='24-Apr-2009 17:27']> Can you copy and paste Dropdown fields?

You should be able to select a different item in each dropdown list.

> Also, is there a way to protect just the Dropdown fields without protecting the rest of the table?

No, that is not possible.

> How do you set the starting value for the AutoNum?

You can't set the start value for AutoNum. I'd use Seq instead - it lets you specify a start value. See Field codes: Seq (Sequence) field.[/quote]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was trying to follow the instructions for using SEQ, but something must be wrong in my syntex.

SEQ Tables \# "0"\n \r 1 \* MERGEFORMAT \* MERGEFORMAT

I have tried changing the number "1" to "11" but the seq number does not change in the document. Can anyone see what is wrong?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='bjg1' post='773930' date='07-May-2009 00:33']I was trying to follow the instructions for using SEQ, but something must be wrong in my syntex.

SEQ Tables \# "0"\n \r 1 \* MERGEFORMAT \* MERGEFORMAT

I have tried changing the number "1" to "11" but the seq number does not change in the document. Can anyone see what is wrong?[/quote]
    Hi big1,

You can simplify the field code to:
    {SEQ Tables \r 11}
    for the first SEQ field in the document (the above sets it to '11'), and:
    {SEQ Tables}
    for the remaining fields.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]