2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First, I secured my administrator account with a password. When I reboot, Windows loads directly into that account without requiring a PW, just as it did before. BUT if I allow the screen saver to kick in, it will require the PW, but then it will REFUSE to accept the PW. (The PW is correct; I wrote it down and saved it when I first entered it, and am re-entering from the writing.)

Second, when after Windows loads into my account without requiring a PW, I go to user accounts in an attempt to disable the PW. Of course, it refuses to accept the correct PW I give it.

Any suggestions? Once the screen saver kicks in, I have to reset to restart Windows in order to work again.

Is this how it's supposed to work?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    This sounds to me as though windows is logging into a DIFFERENT account when it starts up.
    Do you have TWEAKUI installed? If so then please run TWEAKUI and expand the Logon to see if there is anything set on the Autologon screen. This is where you can specify a username and password for automatic login.

If you haven't already installed it, you can download tweakui here.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='772226' date='24-Apr-2009 15:45']This sounds to me as though windows is logging into a DIFFERENT account when it starts up.
    Do you have TWEAKUI installed? If so then please run TWEAKUI and expand the Logon to see if there is anything set on the Autologon screen. This is where you can specify a username and password for automatic login.

If you haven't already installed it, you can download tweakui here.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, Stuart. I tried TweakUI and as it happens, something I did in TweakUI locked me out permanently. I had to have a pro run Bart PE to get me back into the machine. He told me the original problem sounded like a virus.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Auggie' post='773298' date='01-May-2009 12:14']Thanks for the reply, Stuart. I tried TweakUI and as it happens, something I did in TweakUI locked me out permanently. I had to have a pro run Bart PE to get me back into the machine. He told me the original problem sounded like a virus.[/quote]

I think a virus is unlikely from your description. It is more likely that you write the passowrd down incorrectly or did not enter what you wrote down.
    However, if you suspect a virus you should do a full virus scan.

Also, many of us create a user account that is a member of the admin group, login once to make sure you can, and then never login with it unless all else fails on a system. That way the user profile stays clean.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='773325' date='01-May-2009 12:23']*** many of us create a user account that is a member of the admin group, login once to make sure you can, and then never login with it unless all else fails on a system. That way the user profile stays clean.

Joe[/quote]

Yes, this is what the pro did for me.

Thanks again.