2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is / Are there more than one Caches on a computer that can be "cleared" manually without re-booting? I know about the Internet Cache and/or Browser Cache. How about a Keyboard Cache (make the same keystrokes and something gets saved), or, a Mouse Cache (make the same moves and something gets saved), etc.
    Here's why I ask, after a while of playing a game or typing a large report, it seems like things slow down just a bit. In games the moving object and/or keyboard entry slows down; when doing a long report with cut & paste and different formatting (Word and also in Wordperfect) it seems like the keystroke commands (ctrl+x, ctrl+c, ctrl+s, ctrl+z etc.) don't respond as quickly.

XP Pro W/S2
    CPU 3.0 GHz
    2.0Gb Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300

Thanks in advance for your time.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I purge my cache via a batch file which gets rid of the sluggish nature of things.

Include this line in your batch file: sfc /purgecache

Regards,
    John

[quote name='Nucthat1' post='772240' date='24-Apr-2009 19:39']Is / Are there more than one Caches on a computer that can be "cleared" manually without re-booting? I know about the Internet Cache and/or Browser Cache. How about a Keyboard Cache (make the same keystrokes and something gets saved), or, a Mouse Cache (make the same moves and something gets saved), etc.
    Here's why I ask, after a while of playing a game or typing a large report, it seems like things slow down just a bit. In games the moving object and/or keyboard entry slows down; when doing a long report with cut & paste and different formatting (Word and also in Wordperfect) it seems like the keystroke commands (ctrl+x, ctrl+c, ctrl+s, ctrl+z etc.) don't respond as quickly.

XP Pro W/S2
    CPU 3.0 GHz
    2.0Gb Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300

Thanks in advance for your time.[/quote]

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Nucthat1' post='772240' date='24-Apr-2009 21:39']Is / Are there more than one Caches on a computer that can be "cleared" manually without re-booting? I know about the Internet Cache and/or Browser Cache. How about a Keyboard Cache (make the same keystrokes and something gets saved), or, a Mouse Cache (make the same moves and something gets saved), etc.

XP Pro W/S2
    CPU 3.0 GHz
    2.0Gb Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300[/quote]

It is unlikely that any cache is causing the problem. Have you run Task Manager to see what might be consuming system resources when the slowdown occurs?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jstevens' post='772301' date='25-Apr-2009 19:00']I purge my cache via a batch file which gets rid of the sluggish nature of things.

Regards,
    John[/quote]

This is a new one for me and it seems to work. Thanks John

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='772313' date='25-Apr-2009 21:46']It is unlikely that any cache is causing the problem. Have you run Task Manager to see what might be consuming system resources when the slowdown occurs?

Joe[/quote]

Yes Joe, I've been through Task Manager many times.
    Would a dual core CPU show a burp when switching/updatein/sharing (what ever it really does) ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Nucthat1' post='772330' date='26-Apr-2009 02:57']Yes Joe, I've been through Task Manager many times.
    Would a dual core CPU show a burp when switching/updatein/sharing (what ever it really does) ?[/quote]

The key is to have it running when the problem occurs. See if you can tell from the Processes tab what may be consuming System Resources. And yes, any processor can show usage when being used.

As I said before, it is extremely unlikely that any software cache would cause what you are seeing. If you insist on checking out cache look at your cache settings for IE (and any other browser you may use). If you connect to the Internet using broadband set the TIF size to the minimum suggested.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jstevens' post='772301' date='26-Apr-2009 00:00']I purge my cache via a batch file which gets rid of the sluggish nature of things.

Regards,
    John[/quote]

jstevens: 5-3-2009

I'm interested in your the DOS Batch file that purges your cache(s). I'm also looking for a way in which a DOS Batch file can also clear :

Cookies, History, and Temporary files.

If anyone has a solution to clearing the above mentioned files in the XP operating system please inform me.
    Thank you for your help...

Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Theodore' post='773516' date='03-May-2009 08:27']jstevens: 5-3-2009

I'm interested in your the DOS Batch file that purges your cache(s). I'm also looking for a way in which a DOS Batch file can also clear :

Cookies, History, and Temporary files.

If anyone has a solution to clearing the above mentioned files in the XP operating system please inform me.
    Thank you for your help...

Ted[/quote]

Check out CCleaner - Home and have it scheduled to run at a certain time. Also, see Ccleaner Advanced usage.

Joe
    Joe