Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    A couple of recent threads in General Windows and Vista got me to thinking about updating my VPC 2007 with SP1 and the hotfix.

No problems there. The only thing I keep virtual machines available for is Win98SE and Win2K, just in case. While verifying that my updates went OK, I realized that I have VERY OLD versions of Internet Explorer on those two setups - i.e. Version 5 and 6!

Is it a problem to upgrade those two IEs in a virtual machine environment? I have no idea which versions of IE those two operating systems can run, but I'm going to go to the MS site now to see what I can find out. Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You certainly can upgrade both VMs to IE6 SP1. Avoid upgrading Win2k to IE7 - IE7 (as well as IE8) is not intended to run under Win2k and is not running under Win98 at all.

I would recommend to download the full installation package first and install it next. For instance, see http://helpdesk.uvic.ca/software/downloads...ws/msiexpl.html for IE6 SP1 for Win2k.
    Unfortunately, I did not find full package for Win98, but ask your friends - maybe someone still has an installation CD in his attic...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You'll find this link handy:
    http://www.updatexp.com/download-ie6.html

stuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='stuck' post='772663' date='28-Apr-2009 09:06']You'll find this link handy:[/quote]
    Thanks Ken. I hadn't thought about doing it this way, so it's a good idea.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='772671' date='28-Apr-2009 14:45']Thanks Ken. I hadn't thought about doing it this way, so it's a good idea.[/quote]

It worked a treat for me when I first updated my old Win98 FE / Gold installation. It also meant I had it to hand when I recently re-installed my Win 98 system from scratch (don't ask why I'm still bothering to tray and smooth out the wrinkles in such an old hardware / software combination).

stuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='stuck' post='772676' date='28-Apr-2009 09:54']It worked a treat for me ...[/quote]
    I just tried the guy's procedure and as he notes on the site, sometimes it burps. I'll try again this afternoon.

NB - Please note that sometimes the process will fail, if this happens try again later and you should have more success. Not sure why, but sometimes you just can't access the Microsoft download site!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='772347' date='26-Apr-2009 22:59']A couple of recent threads in General Windows and Vista got me to thinking about updating my VPC 2007 with SP1 and the hotfix.

No problems there. The only thing I keep virtual machines available for is Win98SE and Win2K, just in case. While verifying that my updates went OK, I realized that I have VERY OLD versions of Internet Explorer on those two setups - i.e. Version 5 and 6!

Is it a problem to upgrade those two IEs in a virtual machine environment? I have no idea which versions of IE those two operating systems can run, but I'm going to go to the MS site now to see what I can find out. Thanks.[/quote]

Al,

Can you point me in the direction of some instructions for installing Win 98 onto Virtual PC? The host machine I have does not have a floppy disk drive. I have a DVD with Win 98 on it and I used Nero to make as ISO from it. But Virtual PC doesn't seem to like it. You can see from the image that I get to where it asks what to do with a:\ and I did a dir command to see what the contents of that drive were, but I am stuck.

Johanna
    Attached Images Attached Images

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know where there are some instructions? Can I transfer the four Win 98 Boot disks to a USB and then use that?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johbot View Post
    Does anyone know where there are some instructions? Can I transfer the four Win 98 Boot disks to a USB and then use that?
    I've never installed Win 98 to a virtual PC but I have installed it several times on a real PC. The std install procedure is to insert the bootable floppy and the Win98 CD into the machine a power up, the PC boots from the floppy and then gives you the option to run Setup from the CD.

Presumably you need to mimic that behaviour so how about putting the files on the boot floppy onto a CD and the contents of the Win98 CD onto folder on the hard drive. You will probably have to poke around in the Batch file that calls Setup.exe to make sure it points to the relevant folder on the hard drive.

I've not searched this site for your particular request but I'd guess the geeks there will know how to solve your problem.

Ken

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ken

I'll go there and see what I can find.

Johanna

(ps that's just the job I need as it is 38 degrees celcuis out there today)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For the record, the thread I started at that forum and the answer.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For the record, the thread I started at that forum and the answer.
    Glad to have been able to point you towards a solution.

By the way, once you've got your virtual 98SE PC running there are simple resources out there that will let you:
    apply all the patches for 98SE
    install IE6sp1 and all its patches
    install DirectX 9c
    install Media Player 9
    install native USB support
    extend the kernel too allow 98 to run apps the normally require 2000/XP or above, e.g. FireFox 3

If you require pointers to these things let me know and I will start a separate thread on our Win 98 board.

Ken

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another day later ... (a good way to spend the day inside when it is so hot out there)

The boot disk download still needed a floppy drive to extract to, and I simply do not have one anywhere anymore. I tried many things, and my final solution was to install WinNT instead. One CD and the installation went like a dream. And the software I wanted ran on it easily.

One day, I might go back to looking at Win 98SE, but right now it's not my best friend.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another day later ... (a good way to spend the day inside when it is so hot out there)

The boot disk download still needed a floppy drive to extract to, and I simply do not have one anywhere anymore. I tried many things, and my final solution was to install WinNT instead. One CD and the installation went like a dream. And the software I wanted ran on it easily.

One day, I might go back to looking at Win 98SE, but right now it's not my best friend.
    Are you sure you still need a floppy drive? I've just downloaded winb98se.exe from bootdisk.com. If you rename the .exe to .zip you can open it with Winzip and see it contains a .ima file, which you can then extract to what ever location you want. The thread you started on MSFN includes the comment from a poster that "Virtual PC supports virtual disks (*.ima files if I remember correctly)". Presumably once you've got the .ima out of the .exe you can put it somewhere that Virtual PC can access as if it were a real floppy?

Do these ramblings help? I'm off the edge of my map out here

Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast