GER - RUS 0 - 5
    BLR - CAN 1 - 6
    SUI - FRA 1 - 0
    SVK - HUN 4 - 3
    USA - LAT 4 - 2
    NOR - FIN 0 - 5
    SWE - AUT 7 - 1
    CZE - DEN 5 - 0

No surprises so far, except for the disappointing Swiss result vs. the French. They will have a challange against the Russians on Tuesday. Games today are:

26.04.2009 Sun
    SUI GER
    SVK BLR
    RUS FRA
    CAN HUN

Just in case you don't know: AUT = Austria , BLR = Belarus , CAN = Canada , CZE = Czech Republic , DEN = Denmark , FIN = Finland , FRA = France , GER = Germany , HUN = Hungary , LAT = Latvia , NOR = Norway , RUS = Russia , SUI = Switzerland , SVK = Slovakia , SWE = Sweden , USA = USA

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='772350' date='26-Apr-2009 14:43']After two days :
    GER - RUS 0 - 5
    BLR - CAN 1 - 6
    SUI - FRA 1 - 0
    SVK - HUN 4 - 3
    USA - LAT 4 - 2
    NOR - FIN 0 - 5
    SWE - AUT 7 - 1
    CZE - DEN 5 - 0

No surprises so far, except for the disappointing Swiss result vs. the French. They will have a challange against the Russians on Tuesday.[/quote]
    "Any (Ice) Hockey fans out there?"
    Yes. We were flying, according to the reports. I don't know if that is allowed, but we got some help from the Austrian team.
    http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/ne...Hash=c55e46fe11

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Switzerland nip Germany in overtime

It took an overtime goal from captain Mark Streit to bring a testy Swiss team to a 3-2 victory over Germany on Sunday afternoon at the World Ice Hockey Championship.

er, calming down a little. Belarus also beat Slovakia 2-1,

Will be interesting to see how Canada does against Hungary as the last time Canada and Hungary faced off against each other, in 1938, the game ended in a 1-1 tie. Canada played seven games at the 1938 World Championship in Prague’s Zimni Stadium, winning six by a combined score of 17-6. The only blemish on a perfect record was the tie with the Hungarians.

Thanks
    Are you aware of any World Crochet Championships, which would be considerably more exciting? (no, not Croquet...!)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='772377' date='26-Apr-2009 19:48']Are you aware of any World Crochet Championships, which would be considerably more exciting? (no, not Croquet...!)[/quote]

If that is the case, you may be interested in Extreme Knitting, it is a purl of a site
    Jerry

Thanks
    [quote name='Jezza' post='772378' date='27-Apr-2009 02:07']If that is the case, you may be interested in Extreme Knitting, it is a purl of a site[/quote]

"Crochet"??????is that the one where while you are working at it you have to have the little finger on both hands sticking strait out ?

If so, that,s why I like things like Ice Hockey!!!!!
    Catz

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, despite the lures of Croquet and Knitting, it seems the Canajuns might manage to squeak by Hungary. With 10 minutes to go Canada leads by only 9 goals - I sure hope they can hang on for a victory!

(and the Russians appear to be beating the fro.... er, I mean the French ... [evilgrin])

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='772391' date='26-Apr-2009 16:14']...(and the Russians appear to be beating the fro.... er, I mean the French ...)[/quote]
    Wow, after all these years, do you mean to tell me that it's not an American military slang word? I thought we were the only ones...

(I don't think the Lounge censor will get me if I say that many of us used to say "grenouille" as well!)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The English term for grenouille is (or was) used extensively in Western Canada to describe our French Speaking countrymen (of both genders). Even here in the Suisse Romande you will often here the term (both in French and in English) used to describe the French speaking neighbours that surround us. The term comes from the delicious 'Cuisses de grenouilles' which are a speciality from Lyon, which isn't too far from here!

It's not unusual hear phrases like: Il conduit comme les grenouilles or Tu parle français comme un frog!

I believe our 'roast bif' friends from across la manche also use the phrase.

And seeing as they lost 7-2, Vous patiner comme les grenouilles would be a real insult

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='772402' date='26-Apr-2009 21:48']Wow, after all these years, do you mean to tell me that it's not an American military slang word? I thought we were the only ones...[/quote]
    Mais non! I think you will find the British were using the expression before the States were even united!

A couple of references - http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=137529 which leads to http://www.word-detective.com/041400.html (see the section beginning with 'No Respect').

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know anything about the game.

Except that, even in sunny Australia, I have several employees who play eye sockey.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='772467' date='27-Apr-2009 10:00']numéro cinq[/quote] comment et pourquoi?

Edited to add: Je vois maintenant. Alors, comment puis-je changer mine à six mille sept cent septante-cinq?

Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='772502' date='27-Apr-2009 14:18']comment et pourquoi?

Edited to add: Je vois maintenant. Alors, comment puis-je changer mine à six mille sept cent septante-cinq?[/quote]
    Ici:
    [attachment=83498:x.gif]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (8.1 KB, 2 views)

Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='772502' date='27-Apr-2009 09:18']comment et pourquoi?

Edited to add: Je vois maintenant. Alors, comment puis-je changer mine à six mille sept cent septante-cinq?[/quote]

Do the French in Switzerland really pronounce/write it "...septante-cinq"? What is the main language in Suisse Romande? And come to think of it, why is the Swiss TLD "ch"?
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='772548' date='27-Apr-2009 19:15']Do the French in Switzerland really pronounce/write it "...septante-cinq"? What is the main language in Suisse Romande? And come to think of it, why is the Swiss TLD "ch"?[/quote]
    CH is also the international abbreviation, as used on car registration plates etc.

If believe it comes from the Latin Confoederatio Helvetica - the country started as a confederation of variations on a specific typeface....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast