Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Loungers,

I recently got the warning that my virtual memory was low and that Windows was shutting down some programs. I went through control panel, performance and maintenance and then the advanced tabs in system and performance options and allowed virtual memory to be managed by the system. Since then, I've noticed a considerable pickup in program reaction. However, a number of icons for programs in the notification area no longer appear (I'm sure I had too much junk running and causing this problem in the first place). What concerns me the most is that I never get the icon for Zone Alarm upon re-booting and have to click it manually in the program list to get it to pop up in the tray. I also have a backup/mirroring program with my external hard drive that does not load at re-boot. The whole point is to have all of this load automatically so that I don't have to remember all of this. I've ordered extra RAM, to max out my system, but it would seem that modifying the virtual memory on the PC would have solved this problem in the short term. Can anyone help?

Anthony

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='alarson' post='772357' date='26-Apr-2009 10:35']Can anyone help?[/quote]
    Well, I can tell you this much - the problem with icons periodically NOT showing up in the tray is a known XP problem and I STILL have it once in awhile. You should check yours in Task Manager, but when something doesn't show up in the tray and I look in the Processes tab, it's always there. Usually a reboot clears it up.

Now I don't think your adjustment to virtual memory caused the above problem, but I don't know about something failing to load. As I said, be sure you check Processes to see if it really IS running.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='772359' date='26-Apr-2009 16:52']As I said, be sure you check Processes to see if it really IS running.[/quote]

Thanks, Bigaldoc. Yes, Zone Alarm is there and running in spite of the lack of an icon. Once I click on Zone Alarm on the program file, the icon pops up. I've rebooted a zillion times since this happened and nothing has changed in the tray. I still have to manually get my backup/mirroring program running.

I might actually have a virus problem. All of this started last week with transferring some documents from work stations to my home PC with a USB key. Work has been overrun with viruses in the last few months and I actually installed Drive Sentry on this key to prevent this kind of trouble, but I've noticed flaky behavior with Drive Sentry the past few weeks and when I did a check of what was actually on the key with a command prompt, I found an autorun.inf file. I deleted it and then ran a full virus and spyware check with Zone Alarm. I also ran Ad-aware. Then I ran the online virus check of Kapersky. Nothing showed up on my PC. I'm a bit underwhelmed by Drive Sentry and its allowing what appears to be a re-infection on the USB key.

I'm still at a loss about all of this. Just some generally flaky behavior on the PC recently but no viruses turn up in any scans.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the end, I think this was a virus problem. I went through the configuration window and startup tab and systematically checked every startup process. I found a suspicious one with no name and deleted it. After re-booting, Windows informed me that I was running a selective startup (which wasn't what was indicated in the configuration window). I switched back to normal startup and re-booted. Sypbot then detected a spyware program at that point trying to connect to the internet. The process was quarantined and since then, all has run normally aside from a little conflict between all of the spyware/malware programs I installed to try to track all of this down. All icons appear in the notification tray and ZoneAlarm starts up normally as does my backup program.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='alarson' post='773024' date='30-Apr-2009 05:10']In the end, I think this was a virus problem...[/quote]
    I'm glad you're getting it sorted out. If I understood one thing correctly, that "selective startup" window is simply Windows reminder to you that you have adjusted something in the startup tab. When I use MSCONFIG I usually tick the little box on re-start that tells that reminder window to go away.

I hardly ever use MSCONFIG any longer. I prefer the AutoRuns recommended by Joe above, and the recent recommendation of WhatInStartup from Post 770388, again from Joe. This one is quite easy to use! MY motivation is this quote from their site:
    Permanent Disabling is a special feature of WhatInStartup that allows you to Permanently enforce the disabling of programs in Windows startup.
    Many programs add themselves into the Windows startup list without even asking you, and even if you disable or delete them, these programs add themselves again in the next time that you use them. While WhatInStartup is running, it monitors the startup lists in the Registry and in the file system. If a disabled program added itself again into the list, WhatInStartup detect the change and automatically disable it again. This means that as long as WhatInStartup is running, the programs that you disabled won't return back to Windows startup.
    If you don't want that WhatInStartup will run in the background, you can use the /pdisable command-line option: When you run WhatInStartup.exe with /pdisable parameter, it'll check all startup items that you previously disabled, and if it finds previously disabled items that are now enabled, it'll automatically disable them again for you, without displaying any user interface.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for this tip, Big Al. I downloaded this program this morning since the problem mentioned in the post by Joe was mine too: once undoing all of those annoying little startup programs and getting things back in shape, they all came back! Thanks for your help and tips. I used to spend hours in the Lounge but since the kids arrived, there's a lot less time. But every time I come back, I get good help quickly, which is really great. Thanks again.