4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all...I want to turn off the Windows Indexing service....I know how to disable the service and I know where to go to turn it off, as well...my question is this: when I go to turn it off, I am asked if I just want it to apply to the C drive, or, to all folder, subfolders and files.....I assume that just applying it to the C drive means that it turns off indexing of system files...and that if I also apply it to my folders, subfolders and files, that the indexing will also turn off on items such as things in My Documents, or My Music or My Picture etc etc.....is that correct?

Also, if it shows that it is dealing with a file that it can't access, is it OK to ignore that file?

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you select the option to turn off indexing for C:\ only, it will only apply to the files in the root folder of the C: drive such as AUTOEXEC.BAT, BOOT.INI etc. but not to any of its subfolders such as the Windows folder.
    If you select the option to turn off indexing for C:\ and all its files and subfolders, it will apply to everything on the C: drive. This normally includes My Documents and its subfolders such as My Pictures, because their default location is on the C: drive. If you have moved My Documents to another drive, turning off indexing for C:\ and its subfolders obviously won't affect My Documents.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Hans......thank you for that information....one thing I wondered about is what happens to something like your Clipboard when you turn indexing off? I assume that indexing works b/c it 'remember' things about the various files or folders.....it must hold that 'memory' somewhere......if I disable the ability to 'remember' thinsg, will that prevent something from being copied to the Clipboard?

Do you have any recommecndations about stopping the indexing service, and, whether I should stop it only re: C drive, or should I stop it for everything?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='dmcnab' post='772407' date='26-Apr-2009 17:35']Do you have any recommecndations about stopping the indexing service, and, whether I should stop it only re: C drive, or should I stop it for everything?[/quote]
    I turned off indexing years ago (all drives and all folders) and have never had a problem or regretted that I did so. My clipboard is not impacted.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The clipboard doesn't have anything to do with the indexing service. The indexing service is only used to speed up searching for files and folders.
    You can turn it off for folders in which you never search; I'd leave it turned on for folders in which you frequently search using the built-in Windows XP search feature.

See SolutionBase: Configuring Windows XP's Indexing Service the right way for some suggestions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I often wonder why "command line" addicts like the author of that article (and several Loungers as well) insist on giving to possibly inexperienced users the obscure name of some .MSC file or other rather than pointing them to the place in the GUI where that function is located. I think the majority of people will never remember that CIADV.MSC is the entry point to the indexing service. But, as is often said, a picture is worth a bunch of words. Right-click My Computer and select Manage:

[attachment=83487:2009_04_26_181323.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images