Thread: Creating Forms

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using MS Word 2003. I have created a form using fill-in fields and I have up to 3 fields on one line. The problem I am having is when the first field is being filled in it is moving the second ans third fields on the same line. How do you freeze this action

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

If you know that the text entered by the users will be limited in length, you could place two tabstops on the ruler at about 1/3 and 2/3 of the width of the page, and tab characters between the fill-in fields.

If the text can be longer, you could create a table with three columns, and place the fill-in fields in separate cells. Make sure that the table doesn't resize automatically to fit the contents (this is a check box in Table | Table Properties..., Table tab, Options...).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='772531' date='27-Apr-2009 12:24']Welcome to the Lounge!

If you know that the text entered by the users will be limited in length, you could place two tabstops on the ruler at about 1/3 and 2/3 of the width of the page, and tab characters between the fill-in fields.

If the text can be longer, you could create a table with three columns, and place the fill-in fields in separate cells. Make sure that the table doesn't resize automatically to fit the contents (this is a check box in Table | Table Properties..., Table tab, Options...).[/quote]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did what you said in fact I combined the two elements. The table I inserted works fine but in the tabbed areas inserting information in the fill-ins still moves the other fields. Maybe I did something wrong. If it will help I could upload the form.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do you have each fill-in field in a separate table cell? If you put each one in a separate cell, and set the table so it doesn't automatically resize, then it should work fine.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Gary Frieder' post='772689' date='28-Apr-2009 10:44']Do you have each fill-in field in a separate table cell? If you put each one in a separate cell, and set the table so it doesn't automatically resize, then it should work fine.[/quote]

This area of the form is not a table. Because the field titles and fields themselves are varying lengths I cannot use a table

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If the length of the text entered by the user exceeds the distance between the tab stops, tabs won't work.

The cells in different rows in a table don't need to have the same width. Even the number of cells per row can vary:

[attachment=83513:x.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (908 Bytes, 3 views)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='772784' date='28-Apr-2009 17:44']If the length of the text entered by the user exceeds the distance between the tab stops, tabs won't work.

The cells in different rows in a table don't need to have the same width. Even the number of cells per row can vary:

[attachment=83513:x.png][/quote]
    They start to move with the first character entered.
    I have attached a sample line.

As far as a table is concerned can the lines in a table be hidden so it does not actually look like a table like in Excel

[attachment=83517:QCTEST_SAMPLE_LINE.doc]
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Although you have placed tab stops on the ruler, you don't use them - there are multiple spaces instead of a tab character before the words INVOICE and DATE.

See the attached version: [attachment=83518:QCTEST_SAMPLE2.doc]

You can use the Borders and Shading dialog to remove all cell borders from a table.
    You'll probably still see the table gridlines on screen. You can hide them by selecting Table | Hide Gridlines. But this is a personal setting, it won't affect other users who view your document.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='772859' date='29-Apr-2009 07:26']Although you have placed tab stops on the ruler, you don't use them - there are multiple spaces instead of a tab character before the words INVOICE and DATE.

See the attached version: [attachment=83518:QCTEST_SAMPLE2.doc]

You can use the Borders and Shading dialog to remove all cell borders from a table.
    You'll probably still see the table gridlines on screen. You can hide them by selecting Table | Hide Gridlines. But this is a personal setting, it won't affect other users who view your document.[/quote]

I know something else I did wrong. When I inserted the fill in field using the "abl" button I inserted multiple fields thinking that I had to fill the fill in space with the fill in field. Now that I only hit the button once it has solved part of the problem. Using the correct tab markers, left, right etc solves the other I think. We shall see.

Thanks much for your help. I'm sure I shall be back.

Regards
    Elton