Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Whenever I turn on my computer, I come to a screen telling me that Windows did not start successfully and asking whether I want to start it in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode witt Command Prompt, or to Start Windows Normally. If I start Windows normally, after the Miscrofot Windows XP logo show up for 10-15 seconds, the screen goes blank and nothing happens. If I start it in Safe Mode, after the Miscrofot Windows XP logo show up for 10-15 seconds, a bunch of white writing shows up on a black background that says "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partitiion(1)\WINDOWS\sYST EM32\DRIVERS\ACPI.sys," and then all that with "\WMILIB.SYS," etc., and after filling up the whole screen with that writing, nothing happens. I never get to my desktop.

Either way, the only way to shut off the system is to press and hold down the power button.

Does anyone know what the problem can be and whether there is a solution? It's a Dell, and I can't find the system restore cd.

Regards,

JMT

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='jmt356' post='772603' date='27-Apr-2009 18:05']Whenever I turn on my computer, I come to a screen telling me that Windows did not start successfully and asking whether I want to start it in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode witt Command Prompt, or to Start Windows Normally. If I start Windows normally, after the Miscrofot Windows XP logo show up for 10-15 seconds, the screen goes blank and nothing happens. If I start it in Safe Mode, after the Miscrofot Windows XP logo show up for 10-15 seconds, a bunch of white writing shows up on a black background that says "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partitiion(1)\WINDOWS\sYST EM32\DRIVERS\ACPI.sys," and then all that with "\WMILIB.SYS," etc., and after filling up the whole screen with that writing, nothing happens. I never get to my desktop.

Either way, the only way to shut off the system is to press and hold down the power button.

Does anyone know what the problem can be and whether there is a solution? It's a Dell, and I can't find the system restore cd.

Regards,

JMT[/quote]

You could have some sort of malware infection. You could have a catastrophic hardware failure. It could be a power issue (although probably not). Have you turned the PC completely off, removed the power cable, opened it and checked all the connections? When the screen goes blank is there still HD activity?

You really need to find a CD from which you can boot.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='772668' date='28-Apr-2009 13:38']You could have some sort of malware infection. You could have a catastrophic hardware failure. It could be a power issue (although probably not). Have you turned the PC completely off, removed the power cable, opened it and checked all the connections? When the screen goes blank is there still HD activity?

You really need to find a CD from which you can boot.

Joe[/quote]

I just turned on my computer and it booted up!!! I did nothing differently than the other times.

After I started up the computer, I got to my desktop and this message popped up: "One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful."

What exactly does that message mean?Is my computer stable?

Just to answer your comments, Joe:
    I have not opened up the PC and checked the connections and fear that even if I were to do so, I wouldn't know what I was looking for.

I think that when the screen goes blank, there is no HD (hard drive?) activity, at least I don't hear it.

In case this happens again, would I be able to use an HP recovery cd for a Dell computer or would I have to find the exact one that came with my Dell?

Thank you!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='jmt356' post='772766' date='28-Apr-2009 15:52']I just turned on my computer and it booted up!!! I did nothing differently than the other times.

After I started up the computer, I got to my desktop and this message popped up: "One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful."

What exactly does that message mean?Is my computer stable?

Just to answer your comments, Joe:
    I have not opened up the PC and checked the connections and fear that even if I were to do so, I wouldn't know what I was looking for.

I think that when the screen goes blank, there is no HD (hard drive?) activity, at least I don't hear it.

In case this happens again, would I be able to use an HP recovery cd for a Dell computer or would I have to find the exact one that came with my Dell?

Thank you!!![/quote]

I fear you may have a hardware problem. I recommend you backup the system (or at leasst the data you care about) ASAP.

You would need the recover CD that came with the PC. The HP Cd would have HP drivers on it that most likely would cause a problem with some components.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='772773' date='28-Apr-2009 21:14']I fear you may have a hardware problem. I recommend you backup the system (or at leasst the data you care about) ASAP.

You would need the recover CD that came with the PC. The HP Cd would have HP drivers on it that most likely would cause a problem with some components.

Joe[/quote]

Thanks, Joe.

So far, the computer has been working fine, though.

I think, though, that it was a virus that caused teh problem because after the systems started up, Norton started an automatic scan and found and quarantined two problems (I don't remember if it actually called them "viruses" though, but they were threats).

REgards,

Jmt

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='jmt356' post='773865' date='05-May-2009 20:38']Thanks, Joe.

So far, the computer has been working fine, though.

I think, though, that it was a virus that caused teh problem because after the systems started up, Norton started an automatic scan and found and quarantined two problems (I don't remember if it actually called them "viruses" though, but they were threats).[/quote]

Glad it is working well and that you may have an explanation.

Unless you have a PC that has abolutely no data you care about stored on it, I strongly recommend a regular backup of the system.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='jmt356' post='772603' date='28-Apr-2009 00:05'][/quote]
    To add to Joe's suggestions, I personally, myself, in those circumstances would do a CHKDSK of the system disk to ensure that there was nothing problematic about the file system.

Click on Start -> Run and type CMD in the Run box and press Enter. When you get the Command Prompt window type in CHKDSK C: /F /V /R and press Enter. You will get a message to the effect that it can't do it now, but would you like it to be done at the next reboot? Answer y and press ENter, and close the Command Prompt window by typing exit and pressing Enter.

At the reboot, the CHKDSK will run - this could be lengthy (like an hour or more), depending on how big your disk is and how many files it contains.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip, Batcher. BTW, is consulting the results of Checkdisk on Windows XP the same for doing so on Windows Vista (through the Event Viewer in the start menu)?

Regards,

JMT

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='jmt356' post='774597' date='10-May-2009 17:06']Thanks for the tip, Batcher. BTW, is consulting the results of Checkdisk on Windows XP the same for doing so on Windows Vista (through the Event Viewer in the start menu)?

Regards,

JMT[/quote]

Yes, use the Event Viewer to see the results.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran the Checkdisk and got these results among others:

Cleaning up 1108 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 1108 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 1108 unused security descriptors.

40138370 KB total disk space.
    18233108 KB in 107205 files.
    41668 KB in 9712 indexes.
    544 KB in bad sectors.

Is this to be concerned about?

Also, the computer is VERY slow, even though it is Intel®Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00 GHz, 1.99 GHz, 512 MB RAM and all I do is very basic stuff like open Microsoft Outlook or Word and no more than 2-3 programs at a time. Is that likely a sign of a virus?

Actually, I did find two viruses but they were recently quarantined by the anti-virus program. And just now I found a total of 230 items in quarantine. That's pretty bad, no?

I'd like to delete all those items. Isn't it safer to delete viruses than keep them quarantined where they might escape?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jmt356' post='774854' date='12-May-2009 12:39']544 KB in bad sectors.

Is this to be concerned about?

Also, the computer is VERY slow, even though it is Intel®Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00 GHz, 1.99 GHz, 512 MB RAM[/quote]
    Many hard drives have some "bad sectors" as a matter of routine. If it's a small amount as in your case, I wouldn't worry about it. Windows (hopefully) will have blocked off the bad sectors. When you have to worry about replacing a drive is when the number gets quite large.

If you REALLY meant 512 MB of RAM, I can see why the computer runs slowly! Even with XP, more memory will improve your performance if history is any indication.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I won't worry about the 544 KB of bad sectors, but do you suppose that those bad sectors may be why the computer never goes into standby mode? I have it set to go into standby mode after 20 minutes of idle time, but if I don’t press the power button, it won’t go into standby mode even if it stays idle overnight. Once it goes to sleep after I press the power button, it has no problem going into hibernation, which I have set to happen after 45 minutes of idle time, but I just can’t get it into standby mode on its own to begin with.

Regarding the 512 MB of RAM, that's really what it has. But I don't think that's the source of its slowness. A few years ago I bought an Acer laptop with only 512 MB of RAM, and that was running WINDOWS VISTA. Yet even that computer ran comparatively quickly. On this Dell desktop, it will take 8-10 seconds just to open up the Control Panel, and another 8-10 seconds when I press "okay" to close out of a window therein. My Acer never worked that slowly. It is abnormally slow and I can only imagine that it coudl be a virus. There aren't many programs running in the background, just AOL IM, Quickplay, adn a couple similar that get stored in the system tray, adn I might have a couple of programs like Word open but not being used. Yet very basic operations such as opening programs take forever.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jmt356' post='775078' date='13-May-2009 19:34']I won't worry about the 544 KB of bad sectors, but do you suppose that those bad sectors may be why the computer never goes into standby mode? I have it set to go into standby mode after 20 minutes of idle time, but if I don’t press the power button, it won’t go into standby mode even if it stays idle overnight. Once it goes to sleep after I press the power button, it has no problem going into hibernation, which I have set to happen after 45 minutes of idle time, but I just can’t get it into standby mode on its own to begin with.

Regarding the 512 MB of RAM, that's really what it has. But I don't think that's the source of its slowness. A few years ago I bought an Acer laptop with only 512 MB of RAM, and that was running WINDOWS VISTA. Yet even that computer ran comparatively quickly. On this Dell desktop, it will take 8-10 seconds just to open up the Control Panel, and another 8-10 seconds when I press "okay" to close out of a window therein. My Acer never worked that slowly. It is abnormally slow and I can only imagine that it coudl be a virus. There aren't many programs running in the background, just AOL IM, Quickplay, adn a couple similar that get stored in the system tray, adn I might have a couple of programs like Word open but not being used. Yet very basic operations such as opening programs take forever.[/quote]

Hello: any comments from anybody on this, especially the first part about why the computer doesn't go into sleep mode?
    I used to have a laptop that wouldn't hibernate, but I think that's becasue I had too many programs running and it requires 500 mb of RAM to hibernate. But this is different because the computer both sleeps and hibernates, but the problem is that it doesn't go to sleep on its own without pressing the moon, even though I have it set to go to sleep after 30 min.

JMT

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='jmt356' post='777382' date='28-May-2009 17:42']Hello: any comments from anybody on this, especially the first part about why the computer doesn't go into sleep mode?
    I used to have a laptop that wouldn't hibernate, but I think that's becasue I had too many programs running and it requires 500 mb of RAM to hibernate. But this is different because the computer both sleeps and hibernates, but the problem is that it doesn't go to sleep on its own without pressing the moon, even though I have it set to go to sleep after 30 min.[/quote]

Any of the power saving options kick in after a period of inactivity. You have set this period for 30 minutes. There is something running on your system that is being interpreted as activity.

1.) Do you have a wireless mouse and/or keyboard?
    2.) Is the computer connected wirelessly to a router?
    3.) Please run Task Manager and post a screenshot of the active processes on your system.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='777392' date='29-May-2009 00:34']Any of the power saving options kick in after a period of inactivity. You have set this period for 30 minutes. There is something running on your system that is being interpreted as activity.

1.) Do you have a wireless mouse and/or keyboard?
    2.) Is the computer connected wirelessly to a router?
    3.) Please run Task Manager and post a screenshot of the active processes on your system.

Joe[/quote]

Dear Joe:

1. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard, but I don't think these are causing the problem becasue on my laptop, which does go to sleep, i also have a wireless mouse.
    2. The computer is wirelessly connected to internet, but I don't think these are causing the problem because my laptop, which goes to sleep, is wirelessly connected to the internet.
    3. It will be hard to post the Task Manager because it's hard to get to Woody's Lounge from that computer and anyway I don't have the snipper tool on that computer, it's complicated. But if I may ask: could teh problem be the AOL anti-virus program? Also, if I am able to post the Processes tab screenshot in the Task Manager, I can't get all of teh processes to show up at once because there are many. Should I just type them up??

Regards,

JMT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast